4 speed - gear selection problem

PostPost by: jono » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:37 am

I removed the gear selector mechanism from the tail shaft unit to install a new gasket and provide a coat of paint.

There is a spring loaded knuckle type joint which sticks down into the box and actuates the gear selectors via the gear stick. I thought I had put it back the way in came out but the gear selection in all 'wrong' now and I don't seem to be able to get neutral.

What have I done wrong :?

Jono
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:54 am

Its a bit difficult to work out exactly what you have done from your description but to start with the obvious, have you refitted the gear lever with the selector forks in the neutral position i.e. ...so the end of the gear lever is in the "gap" that is in the selector forks when the gears are in neutral.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:49 am

Also check the thicknesses of the old and new gaskets. If the new gasket is thinner it is possible that the gear lever can be set too for into the gear selector forks causing difficult motion from the 1-2, 3-4 and reversing forks. As suggested earlier, make sure that all forks are in the neutral positions before you install the gear lever.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:31 am

elan-f14/gearbox-woes-t15201.html

elan-f14/different-gearbox-woes-now-t15211.html

take a look at the following. as the others have said unscrew the shifter cup some and see what happens. You can work it out I am sure.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:27 am

Cheers Gary, those photos are very helpful - I think I can see what I have done wrong.

Jono
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:29 am

Hi Jono

The above photo has reverse engaged, this is the easiest way I know of to get the reverse engagement lever in to the reverse shift rail as you can see it go in before the gearbox shifter assembly is dropped onto the tail shaft. Like I said in the other posts, gearbox has all shift rails in neutral and once you have a couple of the 5/16 inch bolts installed and semi tight, you can pull it out of reverse and check the other gears (1 through 4) for engagement. Then screw the shifter cap down until you can't engage reverse and back it off a tad. figure out how many shim gaskets are needed under the screw in shifter cap then do the final tightening and check again. 90 % of problems are caused by folks fixing another unrelated issue. Many times they are fixing an non problem and the Elan is totaled by letting it sit, only to get back to it much later (too late) and more issues develope over the years (brake problems, etc).
Drive it don't fix it...

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:49 pm

Thanks again Gary, I can definately see where I have gone wrong now :roll:

Cheers for your help. This forum is bloody brilliant 8)

Jono
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: