+2S130/5 gearbox porridge feel..

PostPost by: thor » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:33 pm

I've read that the 4-speed is superior to the 130/5 box. I've just got my new 13/5, and the gearbox hasn't got any nasty noises, but a distinct porridge feel, or more like a lack of feel altogether. Is this normal with this box? Very annoying not to hear any nice clicking noises, just a very very rubbery feeling.

:-)

Thor
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: sk178ta » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:05 pm

Yes, I have a 5 speed and it`s not as nice as the 4 speed, especially the change into and out of 5th. An ENORMOUS improvement was by removing the rubber bush at the base of the lever, and bolting it direct. Surprisingly there was no increase in noise or vibration.
Jim
sk178ta
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: simonriley11 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:10 pm

My gearbox is also porridgey, definitely not as nice a change as my Sprint 4 speed. Also the synchro has gone on 3rd which doesn't help. However I took advice from a previous posting and tried Redline MTL gear oil, it didn't improve the 3rd gear synchro (unsurprisingly!) BUT it has noticeably improved the gearchange overall, particularly 4th to 5th and back. The oil is expensive, about 35 pounds to fill the box, but when yours is due to be changed it might be worth the investment.
On a positive note I find the overdrive 5th gear is a big improvement over the 4 speed for high speed cruising and, as I use my car every day, is probably a better bet for 21st century motoring.
simonriley11
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: