HELP Required! Mystery vibration

PostPost by: handi_andi » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:08 pm

Hiya
I had a similar vibration that I couldn't work out for ages, turned out to be the starter motor catching on the chassis, so worth just checking underneath for clearances etc and the state of your engine and gearbox mounts. Just a thought
Andy
Live life to the fullest - that's why I own a Lotus
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Carlos A » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:54 am

I used to have a bothersome vibration under hard acceleration. After a close inspection under the car, I found out that the exhaust pipe was very close to the transmission bracket. At times , accelerating or revving the car the pipe touched the bracket a bit. Not much but enough to make me crazy.
http://yourgarage.nbc.com/cars/Lotus1970?vehicleID=112804

BUY GAS WITHOUT ETHANOL: http://www.pure-gas.org/
Carlos A
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:36 am

also had the exhaust pipe touching where it shouldn't and it felt like the rolling gear was vibrating
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:27 pm

Found it. The retaining nuts for the rear shock inserts had worked loose, despite having thread lock on them :x Thus the rear suspension could vibrate just a little under certain circumstances.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: handi_andi » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:12 pm

The none obvious reason has it again, fantastic! Another place to look when one discovers a mystery vibration, wonder how long the list is now :-)
Live life to the fullest - that's why I own a Lotus
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: