Speedo only works for 5 mins

PostPost by: JMR99 » Sat May 09, 2009 1:31 pm

Hello,

Car Elan +2 1974

I'm not sure what the fix is for this but I thought you chaps might.

basically after about 5 mins the accuracy of my speedo starts to drop - when I'm doing 30mph it registers that I'm around 10mph and on the motorway I'm only doing 15mph.

The only thing I've noticed is that when I push the accelerator peddle the dial drops to almost zero and when I take my foot of the gas it starts to jump back up to around the speed I'm doing.

A previous owner has changed the speedo but this doesn't sound like a loose connection problem to me.

any ideas would be great as I'm currently using the in 4th at 2000rpm i'm doing around 30mph method to judge speed.

Cheers,

Jon
JMR99
New-tral

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat May 09, 2009 2:25 pm

Joh

Sounds like a loose connection to me,try the screw fittings either end,clock first (easiest)...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Sat May 09, 2009 6:04 pm

I had an unusual problem with my speedometer a while ago. The spindle from the angle drive to the speedometer gear in the transmission became unsecured from the gear in the angle drive. Not so loose as though the speedometer wouldn't work, but slipped enough to cause a slow indication of speed. A trip to my local instrument shop made things right.

Rob Walker
26-4889
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Mon May 11, 2009 6:47 am

Hi Jon,

I went about 6 months with a Speedo that progressively got more and more errattic.

Initiall, just a bit of a wobble at certin times, then slow readings after about 30 minutes driving (eg. 30mph when doing 70!).

I change:

Cable
Speedo
Right-angle drive

all to no avail.

Then, had the engine and gearbox out and we found that the worm gear that is on the output shaft on the gaerbox was not tightly held in place. This worm gear drives the right angle drive.
It's held secure with a friction fit that is tightened with the nut/bolt (sorrt can't remember which) at the UJ side of the shaft. (i.e. on the flange centre).

Tighented this up....hey presto! Perfect speedo (as perfect as a 30+ year old car can be :))

After 6 months of driving by the rev counter....joy :D

Honourable mention to my neighbour, Cormac, who had guessed that this may have been the problem right at the start...

Best of luck,
Peter
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: