Elan 5 speed conversion

PostPost by: prezoom » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:22 pm

Its been a while since I have posted, log in problem, but I thought I would bring some of you up to date on my efforts to get a bell housing cast, which would accept a 2000E, T5 or T9 transmissions. Discussion on installing 5-speeds as fallen of a bit, but I have not given up on trying to make this happen with reasonable cost. The patterns are complete and paid for, and as soon as my back gets better, I will be taking all the necessary pieces up to the shop to get the correct alignment and measurements to input into the cad/cam program. They currently have bell housings for the 2000E, T5 and T9, thanks John. I have a 2000E and T9 transmissions, so those will be first. Will work on the T5 later. The patterns are aluminum for extended use and should last long enough to cast plenty of housings.

The housing is the same length as the stock housing from the 2000E. Only slightly larger in the area of the bolt up face. This will place the face of all transmissions in the same locations as original. It is also designed to accept the standard clutch throw out arm, or you can use an annular (SAAB) type device. The advantage of the annular throw out is it removes the slave cylinder from directly above the exhaust. The ring mount for the standard slave is now a bolt on part and if used will have to have the appropriate hole cut in the housing for the arm, using the piviot stud from the old housing. Otherwise, just a couple of holes will be required for the hydraulic feed and bleed. If you are into velcro motor mounts and such, a quick disconnect hydraulig fitting is available, which could inseted in the feed line, which would make bleeding unnecessary after engine
transmission reinstallation. Done right, no crawling under the car to bleed the clutch. The mounting bracket for the annular will be designed when everything else gets put together. Since this is basically a modified 2000E bell housing, the original flywheel, clutch cover and starter can be reused. Only the driven disc will have to be changed to match the spline count. This should reduce costs.

Because of the reduced distance from the face of the transmissions (T5/T9) to the rear of the engine, there will have be some modifications made to the input shaft to the transmissions. Basically, make them a bit shorter along with changing the spigot bearing.

I have not yet started on the modifications to the T9 tail shaft housing to move the shift lever closer to the original position of the 2000E. I believe there are some of you have made this modification. Any help would be grateful.

As soon as I can get all the parts up to the shop, we will cast the first housings. When the first one is complete, and I can start the installation in the car, I will be able to determind if I hit the mark or if it will require some changes.

Will keep you posted.

Rob Walker
26-4889

With some credit to twincaman: Just because the noise has stopped. doesn't mean the crash is over.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:31 am

Hi

Before you commit yourself to a custom job I'd check the costings first. On e-bay there are brand new "rocket to BDA" bellhousings which bolt direct to the elan block and direct to the Type 9. They use the std external hydraulic clutch system plus the starter is on the correct side. Once fitted the only "giveaway" is that the bellhousing is lightish grey.

Admittedly they now cost a lot more than I paid for mine some 10 years ago but they are available off the shelf.

I converted my car about 10 years ago- if you want more info get back to me on 0151 480 8400 or via the forum.

Regards

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:26 am

Hi Rob

Good to hear things are moving along. It sounds like its been a battle, I hope that you can pull it off.

Gary

p.s. someone had some hand drawn prints that they were selling with a kit a couple years ago, does anyone have a copy of those?
Attachments
t9elanmoda.jpg and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:14 am

Rob,

You have a PM.

David
1968 36/7988
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:42 am

Hi- again

Is your Type 9 originally from a 1.6/2.0 litre engined car or from the 2.8 powered cars?

Only reason I ask is that it's possible to raise 5th on 2.8 sourced boxes by a clever mod. Remove the complete 5th gear cluster and swap for one from a smaller engined car. This ups 5th from 0.825 to 0.75. My car has a 5th ratio of 0.825 giving 22.7 mph/1000 revs but the way it performs suggests it would easily pull the higher 5th. I'm going to do this mod myself later this year. Another thing you might consider is machining down the 5th gear by around 5mm from the forwardmost face- this reduces the flywheel effect of the large gear and should improve the shift quality by a small amount-again something I'm going for later this year.

Good luck with the conversion- it transforms the car.

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cdraper » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:57 am

Alan Voigts used and maybe still does offer complete five speed Ford boxes ready to fit in Elans with the correct gearlever position etc. Seems there is an element of duplication here. Alan phone number is or at least used to be 0151 630 3575.
Good luck
Chris Draper :D
cdraper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:31 am

Hi Chris

There is no duplication here, many folks talked this to death (remember) last winter and Rob decided to do something about it. If you remember last winter the U.K. pound was worth 2 of those weak U.S. dollars and some of us just can't swallow paying double for a bit of alloy. Durring that time Rob has had the patterns created for the bell that will accept the stock gearbox, the type 9 and the Borg Warner T5. Alan's Gearbox is a geat thing but it still has issues of being adaped from the 4 cylinder Type 9 with the ratios of a sedan, in the U.S. the box that we get is the 6 cylinder version equiped with the 3.36 first and 1.81 second verses 3.65 and 1.97. Although these are better than the 4 cylinder ratios, they still don't seem all that sporting for someone that is used to a ultra close gearbox of the Elan.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:07 pm

Hi Gary

You might be unaware that a special 2.97 1st ratio is available new. Pricey though. As I said my car uses a box from a 2.8 engined Capri. This has a 3.35 1st rather than the 3.65 that Alan Voights offer in their kit. I might "lose" a bit in 1st with this gearing but 2nd more than makes up for it- nearly 67mph in my car with 3rd good forabout 96mph I think. The light weight of the car masks the gearing anyway (unless your brain has a built in stop watch capable of counting fractions of a second). My backside tells me that the car moves pretty quickly away from rest- certainly compared to when it was fitted with a close ratio box (mine used to have one of these very close ratio boxes). It was a pain in the **** doing a hill start with that gearing. Now I can get off the line pretty sharpish merely by rolling it with minimal clutch slip, releasing the clutch and flooring it.

With a plus 2 the situation might be different because of the extra weight but I can only relate my own experience.

Regards

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:34 am

Hi John

I have seen the kit that burton offers and the price doesn't seem out of line at ?200.00 but I do not know if it would work with the type 9 that we got in the U.S.
This is the 6 cylinder box that was installed behind the Turbo 2.3 Lima ford engine. There was quite a bit of torque with that engine and most have been thoroughly beaten. I have one in storage and it will be used someplace I hope, maybe not in an Elan, Possibly in a Cortina Mk1. The 3.36 first and 1.81 second sound perfect for the heavier car.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: