Singing Diff

PostPost by: Stuart+2 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:40 am

My diff doesn't leak (PO has done seals & bearings etc) but starts to gently whine at 50mph on moderate throttle - either back off or hit the pedal and it stops.

It sounds like a bad alignment of pinion and crownwheel might be the cause but, in any case, I'm not sure how much of a worry this is.

Advice greatly appreciated.
Stuart - Sydney
1968 +2 50/1035
Stuart+2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ceejay » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:31 pm

G'Day Stuart.
The diff (3.5) in my elan does the same... but it has done a big mileage, if a diff has been reco'd the preload setting may be the cause. But the 3.9 diff I sometimes use is very quiet at all times.

Several decades ago I had a triumph from new and the diff had a bad period whine at 100KPH... it was stripped and reset three times in the workshop... it made no difference, simply gave up on it in the end.

Col
From Victoria.
ceejay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:39 pm

Stuart,

I just went through the same experience. I posted it.

New Drive shafts
New top diff mounts
New bottom mounts
In the end a fresh Diff' rebuilt by an expert
Red line oil.
Ran it in etc.l

I have virtually go rid but there is still a little whine as you say when not under heavy load or not coasting. I would live with It. Must have put ?650 into this. By the time I got the newer diff', the old one (that had been rebuilt) was starting to become more quiet.

If everything is sound in the area and you have no vibration, I would run it. You could try some Red Line diff' oil as Rohan suggested.

Regards Mike

PS Sorry, could not resist, what is it singing? Elvis :lol: :wink:
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Stuart+2 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:31 am

Thanks guys - I'll tuck the cash I would have spent into my ears.

Redline diff oil it is.

Mike - I think it was singing either "Across the Universe(al)" by John Lennon or "Ring(gear) Ring(gear)" by Abba
Stuart - Sydney
1968 +2 50/1035
Stuart+2
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: