Rubber Gear lever Gaiter for 130/5

PostPost by: graham » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:52 pm

I have a 73 which is running a 5 speed isuzu box but only had a 4 speed gaiter. Have just bought a mk3 cortina one -interested to know how it fits - does the base slip under the tunnel trim
graham
graham
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:50 am

Salut Graham

I believe it does - but the hole is larger (but I've never seen one).

Where did you get your gaiter ?!!

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: graham » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:41 am

New Zealand still has a few on the road. I got mine from a local wrecker who supplies vintage parts world wide and has just about every make of vehicle. There were also 2 adverts on our local Trade Me web site. Paid $50 nz for gaiter, and 3 indicater light , and 1 number plate light for Triumph spitfire.
graham
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:27 pm

Salut Graham

Care to share the name of your wrecker, please? Or even find a gaiter for me ;-)

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: graham » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:34 am

Hi Vernon - I have another 2 gaiters coming . Checked on airmail to france and including cost of gaiter approx 15 to 18 pounds.
graham
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:58 am

Salut Graham

Fantastic ! I'm up for that - thanks. I'll pm you to organise.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ditechspain » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:43 pm

I took the centre console off to see why it was moving around when the gear lever was operated. The plastic console must have been in 100+ pieces. Going out to the pub without the console it was obvious that the gear change was a lot lighter and pleasanter. I was surprised at how much you could hear of cogs going round in the gearbox. It's a lot noisier without the console.

That top rubber gaiter is quite thick rubber/plastic when you look at it. It's not that flexible, especially compared with the bottom gaiter. So it's not going back on, as it's only a cosmetic fitting, and the sealing qualities are provided by the bottom gaiter.

It's now been replaced with a leather gaiter for a Ford Cortina Mark 2 off eBay. The only downside is that it doesn't flop down over the cutout in the trim and currently goes all the way up to the knob which is a bit of a pain. With the benefit of hindsight, & given I don't feel like stripping it all down again just yet, four bulldog clips or similar (or some stitching) would have solved the first problem and an adhesive pad inside the collar at the top will probably solve the second. The Cortina had a trim piece to stop it riding up.
ditechspain
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: