5 speeds some more

PostPost by: johnc » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:35 pm

Hey, I have an S1 (implying limited space to grow tires) and a 3.9 diff so any transmission that will fit with a gear ratio of less than 1.0 has my attention :D

My memory must be slipping or something. I have been reading this list for ages and for some reason didn't realize that a T5 transmission could be adapted to the Elan. Thank you TomR for re-introducing this conversion.

I live in Florida where the roads are straight and eveybody, including the senior citizens drive fast. So fast that I haven't had much interest in getting my Elan out in ages. That 0.73 5th gear ratio really has my attention, and the timing is right as I have the engine and transmission out of the Elan.

The following web site does a good job of illustrating the mating of a T5 and the S10 bellhousing. http://www.inliners.org/Jack/T5tech.html

Does anyone have a picture of the required Ford 4 cylinder bellhousing they could post?

Also does the T5 input shaft need to be modified in anyway?
johnc
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:33 pm

Perhaps I'm on the wrong planet. I'm currently on vacation in Florida for the first time and very frustrated by how slowly people drive.

I only commented to my wife today that the sunshine was a perfect recipe for my Elan - but where would I drive it?

However, 5 speed is something I have been considering for sometime with a T9 with a modified first gear.
There was a thread some time ago about achieving the same result by changing thw diff ratio. Is this a practical option? I am about to remove the diff to fit an ATB - the question is; should I consider the diff ratio? If so, which ratio?

Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint)
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:32 pm

Of the common ratios, 3.55:1 would be best for highway driving.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:37 pm

johnc wrote:Hey, I have an S1 (implying limited space to grow tires) and a 3.9 diff so any transmission that will fit with a gear ratio of less than 1.0 has my attention :D

My memory must be slipping or something. I have been reading this list for ages and for some reason didn't realize that a T5 transmission could be adapted to the Elan. Thank you TomR for re-introducing this conversion.

I live in Florida where the roads are straight and eveybody, including the senior citizens drive fast. So fast that I haven't had much interest in getting my Elan out in ages. That 0.73 5th gear ratio really has my attention, and the timing is right as I have the engine and transmission out of the Elan.

The following web site does a good job of illustrating the mating of a T5 and the S10 bellhousing. http://www.inliners.org/Jack/T5tech.html

Does anyone have a picture of the required Ford 4 cylinder bellhousing they could post?

I think this is what you want. It's for the 2.3 Ford used in Mustangs and Turbo Tbirds so the two center mounts are higher than on the Twin Cam That will have to be modified in some way. Possibly just drilling new holes, maybe it need more than that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mus ... 0206315483

Gary
Attachments
T5bell23.jpg and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:01 pm

garyeanderson wrote:
johnc wrote:Hey, I have an S1 (implying limited space to grow tires) and a 3.9 diff so any transmission that will fit with a gear ratio of less than 1.0 has my attention :D

I think this is what you want. It's for the 2.3 Ford used in Mustangs and Turbo Tbirds so the two center mounts are higher than on the Twin Cam That will have to be modified in some way. Possibly just drilling new holes, maybe it need more than that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mus ... 0206315483

Gary

The starter location will be for the 2.3 and will need a bit of work too. How much is uncertain. The 2.3 uses a larger diameter flywheel and ring gear. The starter will need to be moved closer to the twincam ring gear to engage properly. There is a company in the U.K called Arrow Auto Engineering that does a modification that takes care of this problem on the U.K version (starter on the oposite side) and costs ?40

http://www.arrowautoengineering.co.uk/page12.htm

It looks like it is just redrilled and tapped for the 3 bolt starter used on later Kent blocks, maybe there is a bit of weld build up on the other side. Until I get hold of one of the turbo 4 cylinder T5 bells in the U.S., I won't know if it can be done the same way as the one that Arrow's modifies.
Attachments
T5bell23b.jpg and
T5bell23a.jpg and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: johnc » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:39 am

Well I went ahead and purchased the Mustang 2.3 bellhousing that Gary posted. With the bellhousing in hand and T5 dimensional available on the Internet I am figuring that I should be able to sort out whether or not I can make this conversion will fit to my satisfaction. As it stands my S1 is unmolested so I am going to be very reluctant to make any cuts or irreversible changes. Will keep you posted.
johnc
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: