Speedo Angle Drive

PostPost by: DJThom » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:16 pm

I've recently narrowed the cause of my speedometer woes to a faulty angle drive. Due to the expense of these units from the usual parts suppliers, does anyone know if they can be rebuilt?

Thanks
Darren
'66 Lotus Elan S2 Roadster RHD
DJThom
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:50 pm

Yep, these people do it

http://www.speedycables.com/
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:09 pm

Dave Bean had mine rebuilt for me.

Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:33 pm

Darren

It is an easy repair, get a generic speedo cable repair kit - take the angle drive apart (carefully) - cut off an appropriate inch or two of cable, swage the ends to the square configuration, clean n lube all well.

No sweat.

And - Keep your stick on the ice!

Bill 26/0538
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: dlbutler » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:01 pm

I bought a speedo cable for a Cortina and used the gearbox end of the inner cable to repair my angle drive. Drill out the old flex cable and silver solder or braze in the new one. Use gear oil to lubricate.

Don
Elan S4
Union Jack Exotics
dlbutler
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:48 pm

Bill,
How do you take it apart? Do you have to take apart the end caps that are peened over?
regards
Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:40 pm

A happy and preposterous New Year to everyone.
Having searched the web for an exploded diagram of an angle drive without success, I took it apart anyway.
Oil was leaking onto the exhaust from between the bearing housing and the gearbox and various plop formulas did not do the trick.
The speedo cable was jammed firmly into the plastic geardive so the whole lot had to come out as one.
Gentle cajoling and pleading to seperate the cable didn't work, so force was introduced.
I now have to drill out the old cable from the angle drive gear and the metal part of the plastic geardive.
With the information in the other posts above, I hope to reassemble a working (leak proof) version soon.

FYI, I saw the ali threaded part at Stonliegh on Paul Matty's for ?17.
FYI 2, The last time I sent one of these angle drives off to Speedy Cables in Wales it was ?35.
PS How can I upload pictures so they open up larger!?
Attachments
angle drive.jpg and
angle drive 2.jpg and
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:11 pm

Hi Paul,
How did you take it apart? Did you have to grind off where the casing is peened over the end cap?

regards
Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:55 pm

Hi Mike,
To get the end off I used a combination of very small screwdriver, very small chisel, small pointy nail(!) and a toffee hammer.
I knocked back the three tabs holding the circular back on, then tapped the screwdriver down the edge between circular metal back bit and the cast casing. Prised it off slowly. Another circular metal bit underneath that came out easily - in fact a push on the cable pushed the back off. After that, providing your cable isn't jammed into the plastic geardrive like mine was, it should all fall apart. The cast casing does look a tiny bit damaged, and I'm hoping it all goes back together ok.

Paul
Attachments
angle drive3.jpg and
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:25 pm

Any reason why the repair needs to be done with a spare piece of speedo cable? I wonder if some solid square stock might last longer.

Greg Z
'72 Sprint
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DJThom » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:32 am

I ended up sending it away to Bob's Speedometer (advertised in Hemmings). Family business since 1921. Wasn't aware there were that many speedo's backthen to repair!

anyway, all the gears inside were stripped so it needed a complete rebuild. haven't got it back yet.

The nylon bit at the gauge end of the cable is a bit worn also and the cable consequently doesn't get held in far enough so I may need to repair that bit too. we'll see
'66 Lotus Elan S2 Roadster RHD
DJThom
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:42 am

Thanks Paul, my spare needs repair but I have more pressing issues at the moment.
Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: