Gearbox Fluid

PostPost by: archigator » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:45 pm

I've read in the Workshop Manual that the gearbox fluid capacity is 1 3/4 pints (.99 litres, 2.1 US pints), but I've also read elsewhere that the gearbox should be filled up to the filler port on the side of the box until it pours out. Filling to capacity at the filler port would appear to be more than .99 litres.

Which is correct? I've got two (0.946 liters each) Red Line MTL bottles, and before I drain the gearbox, I want to make sure I have sufficient fluid on-hand. I assume the Manual certainly must be correct, but some reassurance would be nice :?
Gary
'71 Elan Sprint
Miami, Florida (Go Gators)
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:39 pm

I simply poured the contents of one bottle of MTL into the gearbox via the gear lever aperture. A nice tip from a thread on this subject a little while ago.
I know the amount is a little short of the 1 litre recommendation, but this should not be a problem. As per engines, do not be tempted to overfill a transmission.

I found that MTL certainly improved the smoothness of gear changes.

Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint)
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:09 am

Thanks Brian,

I'm going for a ride down to the Florida Keys tomorrow morning with the local BritCar Club, so I took a chance and drained the gearbox. (One good hint I got from another website was to make sure you can get the filler plug off the side of the unit BEFORE you open the drain plug on the bottom... incase you can't get the side plug off to refill, you haven't already drained the Gearbox.)

I found the gearbox contained about a liter of fluid... about 20 years old :oops: , but no metal filings in the soup... so that's good. I've never had any problems; I just thought it was time to do the deed. Thanks for the reply.

Gary
'71 Elan Sprint
Miami, Florida
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan71 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:56 pm

For filling the gearbox I use length of copper pipe bent to a suitable shape to fit down the side of the engine. You can reach under the car to remove the filler plug without jacking it up and the job only takes a couple of minutes.

Alan.
Attachments
gearbox filler.jpg and
alan71
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: