Infinitely adjustable timing gears

PostPost by: ncm » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:06 pm

I have read the recent discussion on the merits of vernier gears versus offset dowels with interest (I've used offset dowels for many years)and can now offer a lightweight alternative to both.....remove the dowel from both camshafts , set both cams and the crankshaft at the correct position, loosely bolt the cam gears in positon with the chain in place , tension the chain and then torque up the gear retaining bolts....job done!
Seriously folks, I've spent the weekend changing the cambelt on the runabout (Fiesta 1250cc Zetec)and the above is the prescribed procedure. There are NO dowels between the gearwheels and the camshafts , and NO key between the gear and the crankshaft.Everything is retained in place by the retaining bolt's clamping pressure.
If anybody is tempted to try this on the twink don't blame me if it doesn't work..............

Brian.
ncm
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:19 pm

ncm wrote:.remove the dowel from both camshafts , set both cams and the crankshaft at the correct position, loosely bolt the cam gears in positon with the chain in place , tension the chain and then torque up the gear retaining bolts!Brian.

Brian, This is the way I always do it (using a degree disc).....BUT then I take out the cams one at time and redrill the sprocket/cam and fit a stright dowel......could'nt be bothered with off set dowels and dont think I would take the risk with no dowel :roll:
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: s2lola » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:07 pm

....Except that the gears and cams are a taper fit!

Cheers,
BT
s2lola
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: