+5 5 Speed Gearbox Bracket

PostPost by: alaric » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:29 pm

Hi.

I'm re-building my +2/5, and have established that the geabox mounting bracket is actually the one for the 4 speed box; the holes had been re-drilled and I wasn't happy to put it back together so started checking...

Does anyone know where I can get a bracket for a 5 speed box, or if there is a drawing that I could use to get one made?

I must admit I'm tempted with the non lotus 5 speed conversion, but the price is a bit steep.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:28 pm

Hi Sean,

I made up a mounting bracket for the Lotus 5 speed. I'll dig out the drawing tomorrow.

Sean Murray
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:36 pm

Sean,

Just checked, the drawing I did was for the T9 gearbox in a Spyder chassis.

I only have photo of the Lotus 5 speed x-member, and this is also for a Spyder chassis, but you can see the general idea. It's made from a length of 40 x 3 mm box section which is drilled to take the mounting itself, and to clear the reverse switch, and is welded to a flanged 1/16" cross plate. Email me and I'll forward.

Sean Murray
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:48 pm

Sean,
That's a good name you've got there.

About the T9 box. That's a 5 speed version of the 4 speed ford box that's fitted to the baby elan, is it not? If so, could I fit that box, and the bracket that you've a drawing for?

I'll email you for the drawing.

Thanks.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:07 pm

Sean,

As far as I know the T9 gearbox (Ford Sierra type) is not directly related to the earlier family of Ford gearboxes as fitted to the Elans. The T9 was in turn replaced by the MT75.

The bracket I have a drawing for was done by me for the prototype installation of Alan Voigts T9 conversion for the Elan Plus Two Spyder chassis. Alan now supplies this type of bracket for the Spyder chassis. The conversion uses a new bellhousing and tail casting. All the casings are alu alloy, so it's lighter.

I previously fitted a (probably much used) Lotus 5 speed, but it only lasted for 3,000 miles before the front bearings started to fail.

Alan Voigts conversion comes supplied with all the brackets, concentric clutch release, bolts etc. Its not exactly cheap but IMHO it is an excellent job, and the gearchange is much more solid than the Lotus 5 speed. The higher first gear is also much more practical on the scenic routes.

Sean Murray (Called after my Da)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:14 pm

Sean

Thanks for that. I will most probably go the same route as you once the car is on the road - it is tempting to get the voigt box now but I need to be sure that there's nothing else that needs a lot of money. I'll probably replace it when I do the paintwork - or when the current one blows up the first time I put my foot down.

Does anyone know of a ford 5 speed box that will fit?

I have a pre-engaged started motor arriving tomorrow, so should be able to crack on with the engine test once that's installed.

All the best.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: