Gearbox leak

PostPost by: Roy Gillett » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:59 am

I had the front of my +2 (S130 4 speeder) jacked high in the air to change the starter motor. It was like that for about 36 hours and I was just about to put it back on the ground when I noticed a HUGE pool of oil under the middle of the car mid way between the gearbox and the diff. Soon realised it had tipped out of a small hole in the propshaft tunnel due to the car's inclination. It is definitely clean gear oil (from that distinctive smell) and on checking the gearbox level it took about 300ml to bring it back to full. I last checked the gearbox about 1500 miles ago and it needed very little oil then. Diff is absolutely dry on the outside and to level.

Is this a big leak? Where is it likely to be coming from? Is it a gearbox out job to stem? Will it get worse? Am I in trouble?

Thanks

Roy
Roy Gillett
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:27 am

Roy

The rear seal in the 4 speed will normally leak oil if the front of the car is jacked up for a while. It often appears worse than it is also because normally a bit of oil is sitting in the bottom of the chassis and this also drains out when the front is jacked up.

If I am going to have my Elan on stands for a while I always put it up level on 4 stands to avoid this problem.

Unless you have a problem with significant leakge in normal use I would not worry about it.

regards
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Roy Gillett » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:08 pm

Thanks Rohan,

I will keep a watching brief and my fingers crossed.

I feel better already

Roy
Roy Gillett
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:13 am

Hello Roy, I agree with Rohan, things should be fine but I'd also note any notchy shifts, as if the synchros are wearing quickly, as an indication the fluid may be leaking and low. Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:12 pm

Roy,
The same thing happened to me when I put in my rebuilt engine. I panicked and assumed a problem but as Rohan says this is normal. The rear gearbox seal is only a splash seal and if immersed in oil will leak. I topped mine up and have had no problems for 3000 miles.
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:05 am

I had leakage problems on my rear trans seal, and a new seal did not fix the leak. Careful examination revealed the area on the driveshaft yoke where the seal touched had a worn area. A new yoke corrected the problem.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pamitchell » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:43 pm

Has anyone experienced more leakage since converting to Redline MTL
from standard gear oil?
Phil
pamitchell
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: miked » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:07 pm

Another point of note is the bush in this area that the yoke runs on. I have new yoke and seal and am showing a slight leak again. Drops on the exhaust and smells. I will take out the box soemtime and have this bush changed.

Have had it done on another box for a second car. Paul Matty has them.

Mike
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:02 pm

Phil

I had no real noticeable difference when I changed to Redline MTL. Just the same small leak in the rear enough to put some oil inside the tunnel but nothing that regularly drips onto the ground. I have used a range of mineral and synthetic oils and oil type does not seem to be critical

I have replaced yokes, seals, gear box output shafts and tail housing sleeve bearings and never got the small leak to totally stop. The tolerances on the sleeve bearing and yoke on the output shaft just make it hard for the seal to work perfectly with the degree of radial run out present, luckily it normally does not see a lot of oil at the tail of the box unless you jack the front of the car up. However significant wear in any or all of these componets can give you a more major leak problem eventually

regards
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: