Differential torque rod installation

PostPost by: steveww » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:27 pm

The torque rods for the differential are handed. How do I make sure I fit the correct one to the correct side?

The end of the rod with the fixed cup washer kinks inwards and upwards/downwards :?

Additionally I have I small washer and 2 large cup washers for each side. I am guessing that the small one goes on first? One of the large ones has to be the last on as it has the smallest hole.

Any comments appreciated :)
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:09 pm

Steve,

It might depend on the type of bushes installed (or are you installing new?).

So, are they the softer OE, or the stiffer poly? If the latter then I'll go out to the garage and have a look.

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:13 pm

steveww wrote:The end of the rod with the fixed cup washer kinks inwards and upwards/downwards :? :)

Not too sure what you mean by that as they do kink inwards and then generally line up, if they are wrong they usually "look" wrong.
The sequence of washers/rubbers goes like this, starting at the fixed cup, next a rubber, a cup washer, through the diff, cup washer,rubber,cup washer and nut(s) some are fitted with nyloc and some have two nuts (locked)
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:07 pm

Steve,

I agree with Brian's sequence re: cupped washers and bushes. The bushes are 'isolated' by the cupped washers from the bolts, nuts and diff flanges. Obviously the cup should fit around the bush!

As regards the handing of the rods: the angled threaded end should be pointing downwards as it passes through the diff flange.

Cannot help with the larger washers. My poly setup from TTR came with washers all the same size. However, would it make sense that where you've a choice, they are placed against the diff lugs (the lugs being a larger diameter than either end of the rod)?

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:38 pm

To aid clarity:

"where you've a choice, they are placed against the diff lugs (the lugs being a larger diameter than either end of the rod)?"

"they" refers to the larger washers.

Sorry and regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:08 am

sgbooth wrote:Steve,

It might depend on the type of bushes installed (or are you installing new?).

So, are they the softer OE, or the stiffer poly? If the latter then I'll go out to the garage and have a look.

Regards,
Stuart.

They are poly types from Sue Miller
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:10 am

Steve,

My poly set came from TTR and as far as I remember, all the washers were the same outside diameter.

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:44 pm

Found the cause of the diff whine after the rear suspension rebuild. I had put the torque rods back in the wrong side :oops:

If you put them in the wrong side like I did the end of the rod does not go centrally through the diff ear and may rub transmitting noise in to the chasis. Most haste less speed :x

TIP: When you put the rod back make sure it sits centrally in the diff ear. If unsure try the other one. One will look right.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: