Speedo Angle Drive

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:33 pm

the angle drive to my speedo cable at the tranny has decided its had enough and quit working my question is -- are they the same as the Triumph -- MG--Healy at 44 bucks a pop or [as a noted supplier who wants 200 bucks a pop] tells me they are special to ford ???????? ed law :blink:
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bvt » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:15 am

Special to Lotus!!
You can get a Jag one and modify it...
or.. it is possible to dismantle and repair... I presume it is the flexy cable bit that has either rounded or sheared, if it has sheared the main speedo cable may be stiff or kinked and it will do it a gain!

To repair... if the flexi shaft has sheared
carefully remove the backplate usually a few edges been "peened" over
then you can dismantle it.
the flexi shaft can be tapped out
I used a bit of old spedo cable and cut to length/filed down to fit and then re tapped it in
then regrease and "re peen" the backplate on.
bvt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: SADLOTUS » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:18 pm

Have you tried Speedy Cables, good prices and they repair.
SADLOTUS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:09 pm

sad lotus where are they located ?

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: khamai » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:57 pm

Twincamman
If you're in the states either Palo Alto Speedo (Palo Alto California) or Nisongers can repair for half the price of a replacement.

The angle drive is a combo part, the screw cup that holds it to the tranny is US Ford, but the drive body is Smith. It is possible to make one up by using a stock Smith and then getting a Ford cup and doing the mod.

Kiyoshi
Life is more fun behind the wheel of a Lotus!
www.gglotus.org
www.gglotus.org/blog
khamai
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: brassringfarm » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:40 pm

I tried to rebuild one of mine but had some other problems. Getting it apart was quite easy. I used a new Dremel tool grinding wheel that had a nice sharp new edge and it ground off the 3 peened over pieces in 2 minutes at the most. Then I used a screwdriver to peen over the new ones to hold plate in place. The pot metal is so soft it worked quite well. I agree that $200 is a lot. Mine broke when the gears inside the speedo jammed. Took speedo to local shop in Cincinnati who 'fixed' it. Replaced angle gear and cable and it worked fine for a year and a half - then same thing happened again. Since car is in storage while I'm out of country - this job has to wait till I return. Next time I'll use Nisongers to rebuild the speedo. And I'll rebuild the angle drive as just suggested.
Paul Zimmerman
65 S2
brassringfarm
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:47 pm

Twincamman,

Speedy cables are at:

<a href='http://www.speedycables.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.speedycables.com/</a>

Regards,

Hamihs.

:)
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: dlbutler » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:13 pm

If the flex that goes into the gearbox is broken and you try to repair it yourself you will need a speedo cable from a Cortina to make a replacement part. The flex cable from the speedometer to the angle box is larger than the flex into the gearbox. The Cortina doesn't use the angle box (per dave bean catalog). The speedometer will need a light silicone grease on all of the gears and shafts and the cable from the speedometer to the angle box should be lubed or replaced. And yes, I've done this and have about 600 miles on the repair so far. The hardest part is soldering the new flex into the gear in the angle box, it must be perfectly clean!

Enjoy, Don
1969 Elan S4
1700 cc, Dave Bean #112 cams.
Union Jack Exotics
dlbutler
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:58 pm

ok guys --thanks---as soon as the snow goes and I can pull the motor to access the angle drive i will have at it ---- B) ed

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: