New Proposed Car Tax By Uk Gov.

PostPost by: dougweall » Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:26 pm

Guys,

Have you read the latest proposal from HM gov. regards the new tax on ALL cars not just historic cars.

They propose to charge all car owners an extra ?4.50p a year when you renew your car tax. This applies to absolutely everyone who owns a car, all those exempt at present will have to pay, disabled drivers, pre 1973 classics and cars off the road under SORN none of which currently pay, will have to pay in future. It is supposed to pay for the cost of new car registrations and the issuing of photo driving licences.

Surely we car owners, deserve a break from any Gov. in office.

If you go to the Federation of Historic Vehicle Clubs web site and print off a petition form and sign it, get your mates to sign it, everybody sign it. Send it back to them as directed. www.fbhvc.co.uk

This has got to be the thin end of the wedge, if past history is anything to go by this fee will only increase year on year if introduced.

Support the cause if you live in the UK.

Doug.
dougweall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:07 am

The Government tax, spend and fail. Taxes have shot up under the current government, do us all a favour and vote them out in the election
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: simon.mitchell » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:02 pm

I thought this was a Lotus forum?

People who want to be told how to vote can always buy the Daily Mail...
simon.mitchell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:13 pm

:unsure: Can anyone help me with what the actual UK legislation says about Historic vehicle car tax. The DVLA are a little unhelpful - I queried with them the actual cut off date for such tax as 31/12/1972 as I had heard a rumour that in the legislation it is actually early January 1973!!
This is kept quiet by DVLA as it is easier for those concerned but when i pushed for a definitive answer it was not forthcoming but there was a suggestion that I MIGHT be right and would have to take it up with a local VRO office and that it was then at their discretion.
Seems to be if someone out there has some access to the legislation we could get a real answer to the cut off date. Anybody able to help??
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: hatman » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:26 pm

It's my long-held understanding (since it was introduced in fact, as I was then in the position of waiting for my car to become old enough to qualify) that the cut-off date for 'historical vehicle' status is indeed 31 December 1972.

The point that is sometimes overlooked however is that it's the date of manufacture of the vehicle that qualifies it or otherwise, not the date of first registration. So people with 1973 registered cars need to check the actual build date of their vehicles as they may well have been made in 1972, then stored until sale in 1973, in which case they would still qualify for 'free tax'.
hatman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:37 pm

This topic was discussed a couple of weeks ago on "THINGS IN COMMON" under the heading "Historic Vehicle Status" have a look as I think those postings will help you.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotusanglia1965 » Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:56 pm

:ph34r: Lets face it, politicians of whatever party, are too afraid to raise income tax slightly , so us motorists will have to keep funding hospitals and schools etc by various sneaky back door taxes. now that's off my chest,anyone want to borrow my soap-box!
"He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy"
Monty Python's The Life Of Brian,best film ever.
lotusanglia1965
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: