Opinion On This Paint Condition Please!

PostPost by: type36lotus » Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:26 am

Gotta love those isocyanides. As it said on the cans I poofed my car with "Causes permanent neurological damage" :o
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: asc » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:50 pm

Could well be, but it was great paint and as usual they ban the good stuff!
asc
New-tral

PostPost by: pereirac » Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:30 pm

There is a good book on fibreglass restoration by Miles Wilkins (of the twin cam engine book fame) volume 3 in the Osprey "How to restore" series. Volume 4 on Paintwork is also good and has some useful chapters on GRP and what can go wrong!!

Let me know if you need more details (I have a 'spare' copy of v4)
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:38 pm

Hi

Thanks for that information. There is a good article on GRP repairs in this month's club magazine "Lotus News" as well.

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stelz » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:02 pm

I have decided to go the "tissue the whole car option" that has been explained here, but I am a bit unsure as to how far to go with the sanding of the car. I have all the paint removed and am down to the gel coat in most areas. In the other areas the filler is left. There are some obvious areas that need this taken out as it looks like a poor repair. These areas will need proper layering with the 300g chopped mat.

But the question is does ALL the filler have to be taken out of the other areas before the tussue layer is applied ? If this is so, I think I would need to do it with the angle grinder.

Another question, have people found the angle grinder fitted with a 115mm backing disk for velco sanding disks the most appropriate for fibreglass sanding, or maybe a flap disk ?

Thanks,

Ben
stelz
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: