Lotus Elan

Door adjustment

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:40 pm

billwill wrote:I have found that a square bar from a UK domestic door handle is just the right size for dealing with the nylon pivot screwing/unscrewing, using a typical ratchet socket set, via the bottom hole at the front, inside wall of the door.

All the door furniture I have ever encountered in the UK has used 5/16" square shafts for handles. As far as I know all the Lotus nylon ball ended pivots have a 1/4" square recess so now I'm a bit curious.

Regardless of the recess size, the only way one stands a chance of rotating the adjuster is with a key that engages the whole depth of the recess. To be fair though, stuck, seized and corroded assemblies are far less likely nowadays as our cars are less exposed to salt and other contaminants than they were in the first half of the cars life.

Ian
68 Elan S4 DHC. Built in a weekend from a kit (just like the advert said)
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: smo17003 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:25 pm

I made mine from a short length of 1/4" Key Steel welded into a suitable size 3/8" drive socket.

Another tip. On an old car the 1/4" square hole in the lower pins will most likely be full of muck and crap, restricting the depth that you can insert the key. Make sure they're cleaned out, as mentioned, the key needs to fully engage in the hole to have any chance of turning the pins without chewing them up.
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:55 pm

Yes, I meant unscrewing/screwing the top pivot.

And to clarify, I meant that a 1/4 square bar from a door handle, is just the right size to extend the existing extension supplied in most small socket sets.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: