Windscreen sag S4

PostPost by: JonB » Mon May 15, 2023 7:47 am

Another body related question.

Got the body off the subframe and sitting on a pallet. Noticed the windscreen is sagging a little. It's evident in the shutline of the window frames, which closes up as you get closer to the top of the frame. The frame itself has some play in it and this appears to be due to the screen rubbers perishing and shrinking. So, when I replace them, I should expect an improvement?

Other thing is the little wire support in the middle of the screen, meant to strengthen the frame. It's a bit loose. Should it pull on the header rail so as to hold it down, or push so as to hold it up?

Thanks
JonB
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon May 15, 2023 8:55 am

Hi Jon
The tie bar to the top of the windscreen frame is to hold the frame against the pull of a tensioned hood.
without it the hood would pull the rather flimsy frame top away from the glass.
Cheers
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue May 16, 2023 8:51 am

Thanks Eric.

I thought mine was loose but on closer examination it seems correctly tensioned. It’s coming off anyway for the respray.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotusfan » Tue May 16, 2023 1:30 pm

JonB wrote:Another body related question.

Noticed the windscreen is sagging a little. It's evident in the shutline of the window frames, which closes up as you get closer to the top of the frame.

JonB

Hi Jon

I had a similar problem with my Sprint in that the top of the window frames rubbed the top of the windscreen frame. On investigation the windscreen frame felt quite loose/flexible. There are meant to be a pair of rebar brackets strengthening the joint between the bottom of the windscreen frame to the top of the scuttle. They were not there on my car. It seems my car started life as a FHC but was poorly converted to a DHC early in it's life and the strengthening brackets were not fitted. Having fitted them the windscreen frame is much more rigid.

Maybe worth checking if yours are there.
Mike
72 Sprint DHC
lotusfan
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: