Original +2 Chassis Colour

PostPost by: Dave123m » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:12 am

Hi All,

First time posting so apologies if the question has been asked before however I have finally started the restoration of my 1969 Elan +2 & whilst it thankfully has a rust free Galvanised Chassis I was planning to paint it whilst the body was off.

I think I have read the the original chassis may have been red but I've seen lots of Black Chassis pictures, does it really matter & are there any recommended paints?

Many thanks in advance.

Dave
Dave123m
New-tral

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:25 pm

You’ll need to etch prime it first but red oxide would be a period look. If it was originally galvanised why not leave it like that?
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:58 pm

The chassis was originally red leaded and then bitumen on the exposed sections.

I've just been through this and agonised over the colour - I repaired it and then had it blasted and red oxide primed, then Massey Ferguson grey 2 pack

Part of me (the purist) thinks I should have left it red oxide but I prefer the 2 pack grey finish which I think will also be more durable.
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:39 pm

Dave,

My original chassis was red oxide colour, but my Lotus replacement chassis arrived with very poorly applied black paint. I think red oxide, black, or bare galvanised all have claims to be correct.

Hope this helps,

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:13 pm

On my Sprint i have replacement Lotus galvanised Chassis like on your +2. It is unpainted and it is not needed to paint.
If you decide to paint for galvanised it is a special process.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:11 pm

My replacement galvanised Lotus chassis was black. Its now 30 odd years old and I stripped all the black paint to reveal hardly any corrosion. Just a little under the saddle where it appeared to have been scratched through the galvanising. Like Jono I painted mine grey because that's what I wanted.
You can get Hammerite paint specifically for galvanising, I used black and white mixed to give the shade I wanted. Painting fresh galvanising can be unsuccessful, as mentioned, but the Lotus black paint was fairly well attached. Painting old galvanising is much more successful.
So red, black, no paint or a shade of your choice.
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:05 pm

Hi

My cousin who has been in the metal finishing business for 40 years says that the galvanised surfaces need to be thoroughly keyed ahead of painting. He would blast the chassis first, but there again, he has the equipment to do so. Most people do not.

I'm not sure what the next best alternative would be. Sanding perhaps?

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:16 am

When i bought a galvanised chassis direct from Miles Wilkins it was not painted.
Never known Lotus to paint over the galvanisation.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gazzerb » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:23 am

If you are planning to paint your galvanised chassis, the attached guidance from the Galvanisers Association may be of interest.

Gary
Attachments
Galvanisers Association - Painting or Powder Coating Galvanised Steel 2005.pdf
(1.52 MiB) Downloaded 79 times
Gary

1972 Elan +2 S130/5
2001 Elise S2
Gazzerb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Dave123m » Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:58 am

Hi All,

Firstly many thanks for the prompt & helpful replies, they are greatly appreciated & really useful.

The only reason to consider painting the chassis was for additional protection as the body is already off & all suspension & transmission components removed.

Whilst I don't know when the chassis was replaced but it must have been before I purchased the car in 2005 so a fair while ago.

I will consider my options & will proceed accordingly.

Many thanks once again,

Dave.
Dave123m
New-tral

Total Online: