Plus 2 Door Hinge Refitting

PostPost by: 111Robin » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:42 pm

My car had a non original hinge rod in that the top plate with the two screws was not welded to the rod, it was held in place by a grub screw. Removal of the rod and hinges was straight forward. I'm replacing the rod and bushes with new (bronze bushes) therefore the rod has the top plate welded to it. I can't figure out how to enter the rod into the door, no matter what angle I try I can't get it to enter straight to pass down into the bottom to fit the lower hinge. The manual states the window motor has to be lowered, is this why I'm unable to install the rod assembly ?. I didn't need to touch the motor when removing the old rod assembly but I'm assuming this was because the top plate was a separate part therefore could be fitted once the rod was in place. The rod could be passed down through the top hinge hole without altering the position of the window motor as a result. Trying to replicate this method with the new rod assembly is proving to be impossible.
111Robin
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 111Robin » Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:10 pm

Resolved by unbolting the motor. Also had to cut some length from the lower hinge bronze bush as there was insufficient clearance to fit the hinge between the rod and bobbin. Not ideal but there was no other means of getting the hinge into position.
111Robin
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: