S4 interior carpeted side trim panel to door seal fit

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:14 pm

I am at the stage of renewing these side panels. There is just about enough of the old panel to use as a template. My question is really about the gap between the hardboard panel and the rubber seal that goes around the door opening. The gap I have is about one inch, how should this gap be bridged or filled, does the carpet get stuck to the body and cut to fit around rubber door seal? How should this detail be finished?

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:33 am

Hi Richard,
The door seal should fit over the carpet.
Glue the carpet to the sill board first, fold over front and rear edges and glue to back of board to give a finished edge to the panel .. don't trim off the excess carpet at the top. Then fit the panel in the car and glue the carpet to the fibreglass around the door aperture. It needs to be stuck well so the seal doesn't push it off as you knock it on.... best to clamp it while the glue goes off. Now trim off the excess carpet flush with the top of the flange and finally fit the door seal over the top. Depending on the seal you have and how thick your carpet is you may need to shave the pile a bit to get the seal on ... no big deal but only shave the bit covered by the seal.
Hope this helps.

Interior trim 015.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:33 am

Nice instructions!
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: smo17003 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:28 pm

Coincidently I also made a start on my sill carpets yesterday. On the lower edge of the boards the excess carpet appears to have also been glued to the back of the board. Is this correct, or should it be loose and then tucked under the floor carpets?

Cheers

Mike
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:15 pm

smo17003 wrote:Coincidently I also made a start on my sill carpets yesterday. On the lower edge of the boards the excess carpet appears to have also been glued to the back of the board. Is this correct, or should it be loose and then tucked under the floor carpets?

Hi Mike,
I’m fairly sure my original carpet was also folded over and glued to the back of the panel at the lower edge but it probably doesn’t matter which way you do it so long as the end result is neat and tidy.
My replacement pre-cut carpet did not have enough excess to do that so finished flush with the lower edge. Didn’t cause a problem once installed as the lower edge of the panel sits down in the “slot” formed by the edge of the floor felt and carpet so isn’t seen.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:26 pm

Roger,

Thanks for the reply, as Phil says, a good description and the result in the photo looks lovely.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: smo17003 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:29 pm

oldelanman wrote:
smo17003 wrote:Coincidently I also made a start on my sill carpets yesterday. On the lower edge of the boards the excess carpet appears to have also been glued to the back of the board. Is this correct, or should it be loose and then tucked under the floor carpets?

Hi Mike,
I’m fairly sure my original carpet was also folded over and glued to the back of the panel at the lower edge but it probably doesn’t matter which way you do it so long as the end result is neat and tidy.
My replacement pre-cut carpet did not have enough excess to do that so finished flush with the lower edge. Didn’t cause a problem once installed as the lower edge of the panel sits down in the “slot” formed by the edge of the floor felt and carpet so isn’t seen.

Hi Roger,

Looking at it this afternoon the bottom edge does indeed seem better when turned over for gluing on the back. Thank you.

Plenty of excess on the set supplied by Sue Miller, although I think they're originally from Coverdale.

Mike
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: