windscreen filler strip - which one??

PostPost by: snowyelan » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:19 am

Hi All,

After attempt number 3 I have the windscreen in. I simply don't have enough hands to do this by myself without some aids. I ended up using cedar shims to hold the trim strip groove open on one side while working the other side in.

The question I have is which bright strip to use. I think I have the proper seal (left) with the outer lip, and it appears the larger mushroom shapes strip (middle) with the chrome embedded matches the profile. I also have a strip with the chrome on the surface (right). Both fit in the groove. Anyone have experience with both?
windscreen trim.jpg and
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:31 am

from what I recall the NOS (tbc ...) one I installed on my S4se has a profile with the bottom groove like the central one so matching the rubber (possibly also the little ears of the other one) and was full plastic without alloy inserted, less shiny than the repros I had sourced at the time. It was quite fiddly to install, and one wants to have the proper tools before starting, lots of lubricant, not too much coffee etc.
If you are to chose between the 2 on the photo I would go with the one in the middle (caution, don't over bent it in reverse while inserting it or you might get it to whiten) good luck !
Last edited by nmauduit on Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Lotusian » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:45 am

Yes it’s the one next to the rubber in your photo.
As nmaudit says, you need the correct tool, silicone grease or other lubricant, plus it’s really difficult to get it started and finished (and to go round corners without popping out).
A warm/hot day will help, but don’t apply heat directly to the filler strip.
Don’t stretch the strip as it will shrink back and leave a gap at the join. Rather keep pushing it back towards the starting point and cut it oversize at the finish, forcing it back on itself.
I’ve done 3 now - it gets easier with experience.
Ian
Lotusian
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:04 pm

You need the tool... this is the one I bought off eBay
2in1 Diamond Windscreen Filler Tool _ eBay.pdf
(970.09 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: snowyelan » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:08 pm

Thanks All.

Supposed to be nice this weekend so I'll roll the elan into the sunshine and warm up the seal a bit. I have a similar tool to the one above, but with a few different tips and a roller.
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: