Fitting New Hood

PostPost by: oldelanman » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:53 am

Thanks Tony, I do have a fan heater I will give that a try.
I'll report back on how it goes.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:32 am

Old Elan Man - I regret I cannot remember who made my hood but it was one of the usual suspects who make "Mohair" hoods and the end result is jolly good. Getting one in the bare state and getting a trimmer to fit it irons out all the usual stresses and strains. I have not put it up for about three years so I hope it does not rain as I flash off to the Italian lakes in June for my 80th bidet!! D

Spain 2012 gro (9).jpg and
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Thu May 05, 2022 7:15 am

I fitted my Sue Miller Everflex hood (top) last year though I had bought the top earlier. I hadn’t had the top up on my car for 40 years as I never drove in the rain during those decades.

However an ultimatum was issued by the wife that she would not accompany me on the 150 mile drive to Monterey Car Week unless the top was up.

My plan was to have it professionally installed but I finally got up the courage and decided to go ahead on my own. I obtained a proper leather punch to make the circular tenax holes.

As indicated above, tension bow down, I marked the center rear tenax and then alternated side to side checking the fit after each pair of installed buttons. Taking my time it was relatively easy and turned out well. No wrinkles.
AB696296-7FB2-490A-B0DF-61E2815AEA7E.jpeg and

46B3D5E7-0C40-4C45-8853-0D2522B27001.jpeg and

I also opted to make the top completely removable instead of folding under the rear cover. And, by the way, it stores quite nicely in Sue Miller’s storage sleeve.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu May 05, 2022 10:21 am

1owner69Elan wrote:I fitted my Sue Miller Everflex hood (top) last year though I had bought the top earlier. I hadn’t had the top up on my car for 40 years as I never drove in the rain during those decades.

However an ultimatum was issued by the wife that she would not accompany me on the 150 mile drive to Monterey Car Week unless the top was up.

SNIP

And, by the way, it stores quite nicely in Sue Miller’s storage sleeve

Just phoned Sue and she said the storage sleeves were for export only, do you think she's having me on? :mrgreen:
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sat May 07, 2022 4:09 pm

Update.....

Finally managed to get the new hood fitted today. Had to get it really hot by leaving it draped over the frame in the full sun for a couple of hours and then managed to stretch it enough, with the help of my son, to reach the fixings. I have a roll bar fitted which, although lower than the tensioning hoop, does partially tension the hood and make it more difficult to stretch over the frame. Using a fan heater inside the car didn't get the material hot enough but might well work if you don't have a roll bar fitted. Quite pleased with the result although I do much prefer the way the original hood fitted at the front over the windscreen and folded for stowing. I've made it fully removable so it can be stowed in the boot.

PXL_20220507_143740275.jpg and

PXL_20220507_143320587.jpg and
PXL_20220507_143239002.jpg and

Thanks to all for the advice and reassurance.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: