Headliner, Sun visor, B-pillar colours for a ‘66 FHC

PostPost by: Luke » Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:31 pm

I am going mad looking through auction pics and searching the forums for answers on this; What colour should the headlining, sun visors and B-pillars be on a ‘66 pre-airflow FHC?

My best guess so far is white for all three… but after checking the backs of the materials my B-pillar and sun visors I can see that they have always been black.

Any help appreciated!
'66 Pre-Airflow S3, 36/5550 (under construction)
Luke
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:06 pm

I have a 66 pre airflow - all three are supposed to be white . In addition, there are different patterns possible for the white material.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Luke » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:40 pm

Thank you for the fast confirmation!
Is there any detail out there on these different patterns? My sun visors have a small honeycomb type pattern, the same as the headlining.
Luke
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Pastapesto » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:17 pm

Car should have “Confetti” (your honeycomb) pattern headlining, B pillar panels and visors - all in white. I think from memory there were vanity mirrors plastic welded into one side of the visors.

I think the other types of headlining were “Lodestar” and a “perforated” type (sorry, don’t know what that one is called) but these were both on later cars. I think they were all Ford patterns but I’m sure someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

I hope that helps

Adam
Pastapesto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Luke » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:55 am

Thanks for the info Adam, that has answered my questions. Now to start the hunt for parts or material!
Luke
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:03 pm

Pastapesto wrote:Car should have “Confetti” (your honeycomb) pattern headlining, B pillar panels and visors - all in white.

"confetti" headliner material was pretty hard to find for a long while, then a few suppliers started to offer it, not always with the exact same size but pretty close (see below photos of original material off my '68 FHC, poor quality photo dating from the overhaul but with a metric ruler on top for pitch)

original headliner confetti.jpg and
original "confetti" headliner material on '68 FHC

original headliner confetti b.jpg and
original "confetti" headliner material
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Pastapesto » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:50 pm

Try Susan Miller 01728 603307, she should be able to get what you need..... The sun visors will be the trickiest to sort (near impossible) if you want the original welded seams and welded in mirrors.... You may be able to get something very close at Aldridge Trimming (I think they had the current confetti remade) but without the mirrors.... The originals were long and thing (in width) and Aldridge may want your original wire frames from your old visors to be able to recover....... Good luck and please let us know how you got on..... A
Pastapesto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:26 pm

Newton Commercial do a kit for the Coupe including the side pieces at around £130. Not sure of the pattern used but I know they have been working in conjunction with Susan Miller on Elan interior parts, including parts for S1 and S2(with input from an S1 owner who was quite pedantic about originality). However I think Sue gets them at a better price but don't quote me, so she may be first option.

01728 832880
or email [email protected]

Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Luke » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:08 am

Thank you everyone.

I ended up getting the correct sun visors with mirror from Paul Matty, along with some plastic trim parts. The headlining and b-pillar trim seems to be more readily available so I may wait until I’m ready to install to purchase those.

Next on the list is sourcing or refurbing the rear view mirror, which also seem to be rare!
Luke
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: