Crud Inside Chassis

PostPost by: Gorpon73 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:39 pm

Wondering if anyone has a solution for road debris/crud getting up inside the chassis from the open front aperture at the bottom?

Recently while doing some driveshaft work, I was able to have a good look inside and was amazed at the quantity of dirt/stones/mud/garbage inside the chassis. There was quite a heavy amount of junk built up since the last time I was in there just a few years ago.

Anyone ever come up with a solution to prevent or reduce this?

Cheers-
Gorpon73
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:23 pm

A couple of years ago I started work on "Turret protectors", additive manufactured inserts to go into the turrets to stop debris from entering:
FrontChassisTurrets_withTongue.jpg and

Even had a couple of pairs made up:
IMG_0107.jpg and

IMG_0109.jpg and

The protectors would be glued in place & then caulked. Next development would be to trim the front edge down a bit.

I've since become distracted by other projects :roll:
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gorpon73 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:37 pm

Hi Phil,

Interesting solution. Although I was referring to the aperture underneath the gearbox on the central tunnel, these are interesting as well.

You wouldn't believe the junk I've pulled out of the that center tunnel. Cigarette butts, valve stems, wrappers and tons of cinder rock (the apply that to the roads where I live during the winter) all nicely congealed together in a coating of grease to make it goopy enough to require scraping out to remove....

Who needs rust proofing.....
Gorpon73
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: