Vinyl door infill trim - s3 and later

PostPost by: davidj » Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:52 pm

Afternoon,

I assume the infill trim inside the door on the S3 and later cars is just foam glued to the fibreglass with black vinyl on top. Is this correct? My car has had the trim removed many years ago.

Cheers.
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:21 pm

Hi David,
Not sure where you mean.
The upright part on the A pillar is a moulded rigid plastic trim piece which holds the air vent at the lower end.
Along the top of the windscreen mine has a piece of 15mm pipe insulation with more than one quarter of its circumference removed to fit snugly against the angles, glued to the top of the windscreen surround and then covered in vinyl which is tucked under the screen seal and door seal. It may be different on a coupe.
Hope this helps
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:59 pm

Is this what you are referring to ?

Doors 005.jpg and

It's thin foam sheet covered in basketweave vinyl, the felt strip at the top is to stop the lock rods rattling.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: davidj » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:13 pm

Yes, that is just what I mean. Thanks. I assume the foam and vinyl is glue directly onto the door? Can someone with an S3 confirm leather pattern vinyl was used instead of basketweave ?

Ta!
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:35 pm

davidj wrote:I assume the foam and vinyl is glue directly onto the door?

Yes that's how my S4 is.

davidj wrote:Can someone with an S3 confirm leather pattern vinyl was used instead of basketweave ?

A couple of photos of S3's from the gallery appear to show leather pattern vinyl.

S3 HANDLE SCREWS.JPG and
Pa130930.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:36 pm

Yes, leather pattern vinyl, same as the door cards, all the way through S3 lifespan.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: davidj » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:41 pm

Thanks. The gallery photos appeared to confirm that but I wished to check before I opened the evostick.

:-)
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: davidj » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:51 pm

What is the step for in the door moulding? I guess everything is done for a purpose. Make the vinyl more difficult to fit? Ensure the door card fit is as bad as the door fit? ;-) It does not appear to have any other purpose and I end up with an unsightly gap with the under edge of the door cards which run flush with the raised section.

Cheers.
Attachments
IMG_20220129_140938.jpg and
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: