Missing door key

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:07 pm

My door handles went missing - long story!
I now have two good condition used ones but no keys. I have them completely apart but can find no clue as to the key number on the barrel. The FS series ignition key fits but will not unlock them so I guess it’s any one of the 999 FS series keys. Does anyone know how to work out the key number other than trial and error?
Attachments
E58898E5-CC4E-4FB6-9878-03A7AA4C9265.jpeg and
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:21 pm

I vaguely remember something about 'rising car crime' back in the day when Wilmot Breedon said they would no longer stamp the key number on the face of the barrel. Maybe this was in between the FA and FS numbers..!

If this is the case, then, trial and error. Or finding an old style car thief with a ring of all Union keys...

If this fails, and you have an FS key that slides in, then, with the key inserted, file down all the ates that are left standing. Even with this, you should have some gates that will be standing after the key is removed to give some protection...
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:36 pm

I suspect your local locksmith would be able to help. They usually enjoy making you look silly when they’ve done it in 5 minutes.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:59 pm

I had a similar problem on my Sprint coupe caused by DPO. I went to a marine chandlery and bought 2 door latch assemblies, easy modification to latching mechanism to work. And guess what? they are common keyed (confirm that) and now I have a spare door key Cheap too!.

Mine sold as Sea Dog

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:15 pm

Insert the key, and note the gate heights and positions , remove the key and the gates just pull out , they can then be re-positioned to make better...I think I have some still left in the shed if you need some.

John ;-)
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:17 pm

New keys and barrels should be readily available and the existing barrels are probably very worn and easy to break into, mind you they weren't good even when new.
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:02 pm

Progress update, found a key for one lock and a key that operates 4 of the 5 levers on the other one so should be able to get a key cut that fits it properly, if not I’ll follow the suggestion given above and file of one of the levers and rely on just four!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:27 pm

All sorted, found someone with a key cutting machine and the know how to identify the required key profile and cut the required keys. All above board too, all he needed was the barrel to do it.
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: