Boot/Trunk rear panel board S4

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:54 pm

I am currently reassembling the boot area. When I bought my car the boot only had a fuel tank and battery.

I am trying to fit this rear board which is a piece of millboard that covers the rear lights and wiring. I bought the board and retaining brackets from Sue Miller, but am at a bit of a loss as to how it should fit, as there seems to be at least 2 options.

On an S4 there is a bracket that the lock bolts to, both inside, and outsider the boot, this bracket also bolts to a bobbin located behind the rear bumper/fender.

As I see it, this board could go in front or behind the lock bracket. Does anyone know which is correct?

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: snowyelan » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:34 pm

In front, so it covers the steel bracket
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:50 pm

This may help.
IMG_7329.jpeg and

I replaced my original millboard piece as it was a bit ragged (still have it). Using the original as a template created an aluminum sheet version, covered with "leather" vinyl.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Lotusian » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:57 pm

Each bracket fits to two of the little screws that hold the rear light units in place. You’ll need to bend the brackets to line up with the holes in the millboard, which you’ll probably have to trim top and bottom to fit into the corners. You’ll also need spire nuts for the central hole in each bracket and the holes either side of the lock bracket (plus suitable screws and washers of course).
Ian
Lotusian
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:30 pm

Scott, 1owner & Ian,

Thanks that helps a lot and answers all my questions.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: