S3 lower outer seat belt mounts

PostPost by: davidj » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:42 am

Good morning.

The outer seatbelt mounts on my S3 don't fill me with confidence. Although probably original, the lattice work on the car is actually in very good condition with no rust. However, it does not look particularly strong so I am thinking about beefing up the mounts while the car is still in bits.

Has anyone added any additional brackets or modifications to strengthen the structure or am I worried about nothing? I guess the design met the standards of the day. I do have a Spyder roll bar and side bars, but don't wish to fit it as I don't like the aesthetics! Just fitting the side bars would be a good option, but they attach onto the roll bar, and to work efficiently need to be properly braced.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers.

David
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ChrisD » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:30 pm

Hello David,

I added self made side bars to be little more safe.
I took rollbar tubes. I welded the seat belt mountings on the tubes and and on the original steel wires.
But I also use 4 point seat belts for safety.
My anti roll bar can be removed for changing the car looks.

Regards, Christian
Attachments
DSC_0612.jpg and
DSC_0609.jpg and
ChrisD
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: davidj » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:12 pm

Cool. It looks like the lattice is welded to the tubes. Did you weld in situ, or with the lattice off the car? It is a good idea having the roll bar removable, provided it can be fixed securely in location!

Has anyone else done any work in this area?
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ChrisD » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:37 pm

Yes, the lattice is welded to the tube in situ. I had to change parts of the lattice anyway because of rust. So I was able to get the tube behind the lattice. The roll bar is also mounted to the frame in the rear spring domes area together with the upper seat belt points. I built it by ,my own because I wanted it removeable and I didn't like the shape of the offered ones.
ChrisD
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:30 am

David
I have sent you a PM.
Malcolm
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear