Shoulder belt clip S4

PostPost by: 0005K » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:06 pm

I have a Federal DHC S4 with original equipment belts as shown in the workshop manual and in RD's online Parts Manual (no retraction mechanism). There is a somewhat thin stamped clip which is shown as installed on the shoulder belt near the mounting for the shoulder anchor point. I only have one clip remaining and it is rusted badly. I do not understand the function of this clip, as where it is shown as installed, the belt fabric is heavily stitched together. It may slightly redirect the orientation of the belt towards the carpeted backboard. Maybe it prevents small belt movement near the shoulder mount anchor. Or is it installed on the cockpit side of the backboard to hold the belt fabric taut to the mounting point? Lotus probably would not have installed it if it was not needed, but ???
I am at the point of reinstalling the carpeted backboard, so if it has a safety function, I'll likely need to replace it before installing the backboard to the hood tray. What is suggested?
Dick
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:15 pm

Dick, are you refering to the circled part below?:
ElanStatic_SeatBelts_PartsManualPicture.jpg and

If so, it is absolutely critical safety wise as it locks the large chromed belt attachment onto the attachment bolt. Without it there is a danger that the belt could lose it's upper mounting point.

I think they can still be found, I may have a couple somewhere....
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:36 am

Hi Dick,
These belts were used in many cars of the period and the metal clip is to stow the buckle out of the way when you get in and out of the car ... only works when the belt is mounted on the B pillar so you don't need it in the Elan.
IMG_20201203_075341.jpg and
images.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 0005K » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:28 pm

Thank you guys. Roger circled the clip in question. I don't plan to replace it.
Dick 0005K
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: