s3 door openers

PostPost by: mervtheswerve » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:33 pm

Hi All, I need your help, I'm in the process of sorting some issues with my S3 FHC,

I have two problems

1. Can anyone come up with dimensions and angles of the link bar between the door opening handle and the door release mechanism, As you can see in the photos mine have been welded up and are different lengths and angles on either side. Either Imperial dimensions or metric, I'll work in either ! and does the link bar go above or below the bobbins/bosses in the door?
Do the rods drop down to the door mechanism or do they point up towards the mechanism?

2.The car arrived with a broken opener handle, see photo, screw in end ,not cross pinned, I've since bought crosspin handles but need to know the distance from end of square shaft to centre of hole. See pics.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Ian
Attachments
162_1212.JPG and
162_1210.JPG and
162_1198.JPG and
162_1197.JPG and
mervtheswerve
New-tral

PostPost by: ericbushby » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:11 pm

Hi Ian
The cross drilling to fit the chromed handle is 6mm from the end of the shaft to the centre of the hole, and is vertical.
The hole is between 3.5 and 3.9 mm diameter,( the nearest drill sizes I had to hand ).
The handle is from the Hillman Imp.
Hope this helps
Eric in Burrnley
S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:05 am

Ian,

I have my pre-airflow FHC still apart and I just looked at the linkages for it. I also have a spare set of links for the Super Safety, but the long link back to the latch is the same. The difference is in the length of the spindle where the handle fastens, and you have issues there too, so which car do you have? What is the vin of your car? pre- 7200 or after to about 7900.

What I may do for you is take a photo of the link on my wife's embroidery cut-out grid background. Then you can draw a mating grid and duplicate your need. That I think is the best way considering your on the other side of the pond and it can all be sent electronically.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mervtheswerve » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:29 am

Hi Roger

Thanks for your reply.

My VIN No is 36/8897. I am assuming that is Lotus model 36.

Did late S3's have airflow vents as mine hasn't, so they have either been filled in or could it be an early S3 which was registered later when someone realised the S4 was due to be launched?

It would be great if you could send a pattern of the links to me so I can compare with what I have already and make some replacements. Does the pattern maker have a scale / measurement guide?

I think I have solved the square spindle issue by cross drilling for 1/8th pins.

Ian
mervtheswerve
New-tral

PostPost by: ericbushby » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:11 am

Hi Ian,
I did give you detail dimensions for the cross drilling.
As you have done it, I suppose you will not need any more help and I can now refit the handle to my car.
A small acknowledgment would have been friendly.
However, well done, never mind.
Eric in Burnley
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mervtheswerve » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:07 pm

Hi Eric

I apologise.

I did not realise that you had dismantled your door in order to assist me.

As it happens I was only had the opportunity to drill the cross hole yesterday, however I still have part 1 of my problem to sort out as you can read from the messages between Roger and myself. Until I have sorted that out I will not be able to re-assemble any mechanism to see if I have been successful. I intended to contact you when I had completed the whole task.

Thank you for your assistance

Ian
mervtheswerve
New-tral

PostPost by: ericbushby » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:29 pm

Thankyou Ian, it`s OK
I have had a lot of assistance from members of this forum and I try to help others when I can.
How would we manage without the internet.
Sometimes people complain about work done by previous owners, when at the time they did not have the resources which we have now.
Cheers
Eric
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: