S4 carpets

PostPost by: 2tmike » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:41 pm

Can someone help please? the carpet sets for sale show pieces that cover the sill area. I guess that these are glued to board that is screwed into place (I have just vinyl covered boards) but how does the carpet finish against the door opening? Is it just cut to butt up against the door seal, is it somehow shaved and tucked under the seal or what ? Any pics of that area would be great. Thanks
Elan S4
Elan Plus 2 JPS
MR2turbo
2tmike
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:00 pm

Mine is 'shaved' and tucked under the seal.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nhhiker » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:01 pm

Hi,

Every one that I have done, the door seal goes over both the fiberglass and carpet. Do not shave the carpet! Cut the carpet to the same size as the door opening. Use a plastic mallet to tap the seal over both pieces.

Bill
Attachments
DSC_0006.JPG and
nhhiker
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:19 pm

I agree with Stuart and Bill, the door seal should fit over the carpet.
Glue the carpet to the sill board first, fold over front and rear edges and glue to back of board to give a finished edge to the panel .. don't trim off the excess carpet at the top. Then fit the panel in the car and glue the carpet to the fibreglass around the door aperture. It needs to be stuck well so the seal doesn't push it off as you knock it on.... best to clamp it while the glue goes off. Now trim off the excess carpet flush with the top of the flange and finally fit the door seal over the top. I had to shave the pile on mine but it will depend on the seal you have and how thick your carpet is... no big deal but only shave the the bit covered by the seal.
Carpet fitting 016.jpg and
Interior trim 004.jpg and
Interior trim 015.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 2tmike » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:29 pm

Exactly the info I needed !
Many Thanks
Elan S4
Elan Plus 2 JPS
MR2turbo
2tmike
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 2tmike » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:57 pm

IMG_5182.JPG and

Might help someone, this stops the carpet moving whilst you push the door seal on. Quite easy and no hammering needed, just push the scraper blade into the seal as in the pic, slide the seal down into position over the blade and then pull the blade out and move it across a little and repeat. Whole door aperture done in a couple of minutes.
Elan S4
Elan Plus 2 JPS
MR2turbo
2tmike
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: