dash pad questions second try

PostPost by: nomad » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:08 am

I've used a 1" urethane house insulation board to form ribs to lay glass over for reinforcement but for forming up a dashboard at least 2" would be handy. Anybody know a good source for a good rigid 2" urethane board that I might use?

Kurt
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:47 am

I used Owens Corning FOAMULAR 150, Extruded Polystyrene (XPS), one inch thick and agree two inch would have been a lot easier. They also make it in two denser versions, 250 and 400. If I were to do it again (and hope never to) I think I'd use the 250. The downside to XPS is that it doesn't play well with polyester resin or most contact cements. You have to use epoxy, both for the construction and as a barrier between the foam and the contact cement.

That's where your urethane based board would be better if you can find it in two inch thickness.

Home depot sells Rmax Thermasheath-3, Polyisocyanurate Rigid Foam Insulation Board, in 2" thick sheets, but I don't think I'd like working with that stuff. The dust coming off of it while you were shaping it would be itchy and very bad to breathe.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:57 pm

Thanks, Bud, but polystyrene insulation melts in short order after contacting polyester resin so I'll look into the poly...whatever board you mention. Plan on reinforcing the carved dash with a thin layer or two of tissue like Rod Little did. I'll wear a mask....getting used to that! :D

Kurt
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:16 pm

I added a thin tissue also. I just used West System epoxy to do it. No melting and no problems.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elangtv2000 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:19 pm

I started with a new ABS dashpad shell, then applied various materials to add crack and pressure resistance, then filled it with expanding foam which I shaped into position.
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=33497&p=340516#p340516
elangtv2000
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:33 pm

Looked it up Bud and all I find is 1" in the Rmax. Memory jogged, that is what I have used in the past. Nice stuff to work with but is dusty. I glued it together with resin but the joints are kind of hard to work with. If I cant find anything better maybe a better glue.

Some added since I typed and didn't send this. I'll look into the West system.

Is there an ABS shell for a type 26? Thermoformed shell would sure be nice if it fits.

Kurt
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: