Elan Sprint/S4 seatbelt position.

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:58 pm

rgh0 wrote:I doubt your plate would hold in a significant accident.
cheers
Rohan

I would second that! :cry:
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:09 pm

Thanks for quick feedback.
I have looked at the Spyder option and think it can go on lotus chassis.
I like the apparent simplicity of the lotus arrangement which gets the reel out of the way with sensible orientation but suspect that even though in theory the drop rod does a lot of work in a crash the lower end will require a decent reinforcing plate in the wheel arch and perhaps some additional glass fibre?
A bit more Googling has found me loads of threads here discussing Spyder system.
Hopefully by now they'll have written some instructions :)
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:02 am

FYI if you want to floor mount you want the securon 500/30 as they have the shoulder hanger. 514/30 do not have the shoulder hanger so need the reel mounting at shoulder height.

(Just fitted some 514/30 in my plus 2 today)
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:43 am

MarkDa wrote:Thanks for quick feedback.
.... but suspect that even though in theory the drop rod does a lot of work in a crash the lower end will require a decent reinforcing plate in the wheel arch and perhaps some additional glass fibre?

This is taken from the Plus2 Parts manual, but the 2 Seater has the similar parts to mount the inertia reel:

Plus2-Parts Manual_SeatBeltLowerReinforcements.jpg
Plus2-Parts Manual_SeatBeltLowerReinforcements.jpg (58.53 KiB) Viewed 493 times
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:48 am

mbell wrote:FYI if you want to floor mount you want the securon 500/30 as they have the shoulder hanger. 514/30 do not have the shoulder hanger so need the reel mounting at shoulder height.

(Just fitted some 514/30 in my plus 2 today)

& if anyone is looking for a pair of Securon 500/30s I have a pair new in boxes available for sale here in the US :D

***Sold to Bushwacker! ***
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bahamayellow » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:40 pm

oldelanman wrote:The upper attachment is via a special bolt through the fibreglass to an outrigger bracket on the top of the suspension tower, it does not bolt directly to the fibreglass. All the necessary parts are available from the usual suppliers in the UK.
Seat belt top mount 005.jpg

Elan-Parts-AA.jpg
X036B0398Z.jpg
SJ036B0083.jpg

Hello, thank you for all of the usual information on here and I have now got the brackets and seatbelt bolts and will be attempting this job possibly over the weekend.

First question can I drop the damper far enough down with the car on axle stands to get the seat belt bracket in without dismantling the entire rear suspension?

Regards,

Mike
Mike
1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
1963 1071 Cooper S
Bahamayellow
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:25 pm

Bahamayellow wrote:
oldelanman wrote:The upper attachment is via a special bolt through the fibreglass to an outrigger bracket on the top of the suspension tower, it does not bolt directly to the fibreglass. All the necessary parts are available from the usual suppliers in the UK.
Seat belt top mount 005.jpg

Elan-Parts-AA.jpg
X036B0398Z.jpg
SJ036B0083.jpg

Hello, thank you for all of the usual information on here and I have now got the brackets and seatbelt bolts and will be attempting this job possibly over the weekend.

First question can I drop the damper far enough down with the car on axle stands to get the seat belt bracket in without dismantling the entire rear suspension?

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,
Sorry but I have no idea if that's possible, maybe someone who has recently replaced their rear dampers or lotocones can advise.
Regards
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bahamayellow » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:27 pm

Thanks Roger I will have a look tomorrow it should be self explanatory. I am hoping the Frame will drop enough to be able to insert the bracket.
Mike
1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
1963 1071 Cooper S
Bahamayellow
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:22 am

It should pull down far enough to get the lotocone clear - might be worth compressing the springs a bit as well.
It won't 'drop' - the wishbone bushes and reflex couplings will be working against gravity.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: