Plus2S badges - renovation

PostPost by: andywatts » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:28 pm

Advice requested on the original finish on the 'S' badge. Just getting round to cleaning up the badges for my 1969 Plus 2 S.

The 'S' badge is brass, chromium plated on the back, edges and a narrow rim around the face. The 'S' is a muddy brown colour which does not look as though it has ever been plated - it looks more like brass which has aged to that colour. Does anyone know what the original finish on this badge was?

The 'ELAN + 2' also in the picture is probably ok with just a clean up, but could be re-plated and then the indented sections repainted.

Thanks.

Lotus badges.jpg and
andywatts
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:58 pm

I would have thought it was cheaper to buy new ones than try and have them replated. All the usual suppliers sell them.

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:52 am

I believe the 'S' badge would have been plated all over and the bevel and the 'S' polished. It looks like overenthusiastic polishing has removed your chrome.
Matthew Vale - Classic Motoring Author
1968 Plus 2 - Somewhat cosmetically and mechanically modified
1969 Plus 2S - Currently undergoing nut and bolt restoration
Visit me on matthewvale.com
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:53 pm

alanr wrote:I would have thought it was cheaper to buy new ones than try and have them replated. All the usual suppliers sell them.

Alan.

New ones are not available, the ones you may have seen for sale are aftermarket and are slightly smaller leaving a bigger hole around the switch.

Rocker switches had a satin black finish not gloss. Just rub them down ( being careful not to round edges), mask off and paint satin black. It’ll be years before it wears through!
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:33 am

elanfan1 wrote:
alanr wrote:I would have thought it was cheaper to buy new ones than try and have them replated. All the usual suppliers sell them.

Alan.

New ones are not available, the ones you may have seen for sale are aftermarket and are slightly smaller leaving a bigger hole around the switch.

Rocker switches had a satin black finish not gloss. Just rub them down ( being careful not to round edges), mask off and paint satin black. It’ll be years before it wears through!

I think there is some confusion? The OP was asking about body badges. I think you are referring to dashboard rocker switches. :D

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:00 am

The "S" badge is in 2 parts: the plinth and the badge in the middle.
Normally the plinth is attached to Body with a screw then the badge glued in middle after.
On a +2S the "S" badge is only fitted on one side of the car :wink: :wink:
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andywatts » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:45 am

Thanks for the advice. Best advice on the 'S' badge is that it the 'S' was probably chrome plated from new (thanks Matt Elan) Any other views gratefully received!

Andy
andywatts
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:49 am

Like yours, the one on my car has had the chrome rubbed off. However, I picked this up on ebay a couple of years ago (got the right numbers on the back of the plinth), which shows it was chromed.

s-badge.jpg and
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:18 am

On the other side of the car is the 3 year world champion badge:

world3-badge.jpg and
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:42 pm

Badges on the car:
badge1.jpg and

badge2.jpg and
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: andywatts » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:23 pm

draenog wrote:Like yours, the one on my car has had the chrome rubbed off. However, I picked this up on ebay a couple of years ago (got the right numbers on the back of the plinth), which shows it was chromed.

Excellent - thanks. Out of interest, which side was your 'S', 'constructors' and 'ELAN+2' badges. On my 1969 +2S the 'S' was rear nearside, the 'constructors' rear offside, and the 'ELAN+2' nearside between front wheel and door.

Thanks - Andy
andywatts
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:42 pm

andywatts wrote:
draenog wrote:Like yours, the one on my car has had the chrome rubbed off. However, I picked this up on ebay a couple of years ago (got the right numbers on the back of the plinth), which shows it was chromed.

Excellent - thanks. Out of interest, which side was your 'S', 'constructors' and 'ELAN+2' badges. On my 1969 +2S the 'S' was rear nearside, the 'constructors' rear offside, and the 'ELAN+2' nearside between front wheel and door.

Thanks - Andy

Yes, judging from contemporary sales brochures that's right. On my car the S and constructors badges are reversed which I will correct someday!
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:23 pm

I agree for S nearside, Constructor off side.
For me the ELAN+2 both sides.
I have owned 3 different Plus 2 Elans and all like that.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: