Should there be loft insulation inside Elan sills?

PostPost by: Hawksmoor » Sat May 16, 2020 1:43 pm

The sills of my 1971 Elan Sprint are packed full of what looks like normal fibreglass loft insulation - the stuff that comes on rolls and is used to insulate loft spaces in houses. It goes right up front inside the body shell too.
Is this normal? If not, should there be anything in the sill voids, or are they just left open?
And I wonder whether the underfloor carpet felts are best replaced with one of the stick-on sound deadening mat products?
Many thanks in advance.
Hawksmoor
New-tral

PostPost by: mbell » Sat May 16, 2020 1:59 pm

One of the rear wheel arch closing plates fell off on my +2. Inside was a lump of insulation material that was probably got to the plate originally.

Not fiber glass insulation and not sure what type it was but found similar stuff inside behind the side panels.

I'd guess a dpo replaced what was fitted by the factory or added some to try reduce noise.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Sat May 16, 2020 2:52 pm

By underfloor carpet felt, do you mean the original horsehair type? Stick on sound deadening mats do not come anywhere close to horsehair! Marvellous stuff!
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Sat May 16, 2020 4:07 pm

Mine never had any.
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear