clip on door mirrors

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:38 pm

If using Tex door mirrors be aware that the fixing location on the doors will be different from side to side to enable a good view. The drivers side is easy to locate as you can sit in the seat and place it yourself, the passenger side will require an assistant to place and mark.

I can measure tomorrow the distance from the leading edge of the door to the front of the mirror mounts on my +2, from memory there’s at least a 50mm variation from side to side. I fitted my Tex mirrors in 2008, that’s 12 years ago and they work well.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:45 am

awatkins wrote:Geoffers71 —

Would you be able to tells us exactly which mirrors those are?

Thanks,
Alan

There seem to be multiple suppliers on the 'net of the sort of mirror I used. Just google "clamp on car mirror"
Here's the one I used
IMG_1311.JPG and

Various prices, this one was about £18 + delivery
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
2002 Elise S2 (now sold :-()
1970 Scimitar GTE
"The older I get the better I was !"
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: William2 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:40 pm

Several years ago I fitted a clamp on mirror the same as the one shown in Geoffers 71 photo. They are generally held n place by a couple of small allen key screws. To begin with mine did start to come loose after a while so my solution was to accurately mark where the screw tip hits the outer chrome window frame and I then drilled a very small countersunk surface mark with a drill bit making sure I didn't drill a hole through the brass frame. This was enough just to hold the mirror in place properly without the worry of it actually coming loose and falling off the car. Never had any problems since. If there is a downside it is that a small indent is made in the chrome which can't be seen.
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: awatkins » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:48 pm

Thanks very much for the lead. It appears to be an Omnico 947, not retailed in the US, but readily available on Amazon UK. Looks perfect for temporary use on (say) a concours entrant that did not originally come with exterior mirros.

Correction: it does show up on Amazon US if you search for Omnico.
awatkins
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:31 pm

My present one is like Geoffer's but 20 or 30 years old and by Stadium, I think. The bracket is just plain stainless steel and I eventually fitted the mirror horizontally (for which I bent the bracket crudely). I cut the felt and fitted a thin metal pad for the screws to bear on, as described above.

The threads stripped in the bracket so I fitted nuts on the screw ends and wound them outwards to tighten up. It resists being walked into in my garage but I have to reset the mirror angle aftewards and it's a nuisance so I sometimes remove it and drive without.

IMG_8044.JPG and
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: