New dashboard crazy lead times

PostPost by: sprintsoft » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:06 pm

SJS, Matty, Millers, are all quoting many months lead time on a new dash nowadays, and all roads seem to lead back to Classical Dash who don’t answer phone or emails...

Anyone know of an alternative UK based supplier?
72 Sprint - 0363E
74 S130/5 - 1931L
sprintsoft
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:21 pm

Sprintsoft,

I bought my dash from Sue Miller, who in turn used City Polishers Spalding Lincolnshire. This is about ten years ago, although I had problems I did eventually get a result I am pleased with.

Had you considered having your existing dash re veneered? I discounted this option as a new dash was cheaper, but I put so much time and effort into making the new dash fit the switches and instruments, that I now think I made the more difficult choice.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:42 pm

I bought mine from Sue Miller, took 18 months to come through but as above it was a worth while wait.

Failing that have you thought about having your dash re-veneered? the company i work for use GDK Veneering in Crewe and they return some quality work from what i've seen.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: PaulH » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:51 pm

sprintsoft wrote:SJS, Matty, Millers, are all quoting many months lead time on a new dash nowadays, and all roads seem to lead back to Classical Dash who don’t answer phone or emails...

I can recommend Nick Martin http://www.nicholas-martin.co.uk/ although his lead time is likely to be many months as well. I had a dash reconditioned by him and a new one manufactured by him. He took great deal of attention to get a close match to the original, at my request. He had great knowledge about the different veneers used on the different Elan models. You can see the reconditioned and new dash in this video at 03:45 https://youtu.be/Q1feM8DP390

Paul
66 Elan S2
PaulH
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: greg40green » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:39 pm

Hello all
Every time I keep seeing quotes such as the one below I add the following information and have been doing on and off for around 8 months

' PUAL MATTYS' HAVE DASHBOARDS IN STOCK NOW FROM S1 TO SPRINT'

No waiting time they have them in stock now , today .Mattys have only just started advertising the dashboards in the new Club Lotus magazine but have had them in stock for at least 8-10 months.

sprintsoft wrote:SJS, Matty, Millers, are all quoting many months lead time on a new dash nowadays, and all roads seem to lead back to Classical Dash who don’t answer phone or emails...

greg40green
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: greg40green » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:44 pm

Hello all
Every time I keep seeing quotes such as the one below I add the following information and have been doing on and off for around 8 months

' PUAL MATTYS' HAVE DASHBOARDS IN STOCK NOW FROM S1 TO SPRINT'

No waiting time they have them in stock now , today .
Mattys have only just started advertising the dashboards in the new Club Lotus magazine but have had them in stock for at least 8-10 months.
greg40green
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:11 am

Chapman & Cliff in Cheshire did all my stag dashes they are ex Rolls Royce
Ian
elansprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:03 am

OP, you do not say what car you need a dash for, are we to assume a Sprint?

I have a new old stock +2 dashboard that I would part with, made by Classical Dash in burr walnut. It will be collection only if anyone is interested.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: David1953 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:57 am

+1 for Nick Martin.
His quoted 6 weeks did turn out nearer 6 months, but the workmanship is excellent. Talk to him because he works in batches, and you could hit a time when he is doing them.
David1953
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: sprintsoft » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:13 am

Thanks to all, i should have clarified I’m looking for a +2S 130 dash, hence Matty etc do not have any. Sue tried to get one for me but Classical Dash who she uses nowadays are a devil to get a hold of.

Nick Martin quoted me 12 weeks.
72 Sprint - 0363E
74 S130/5 - 1931L
sprintsoft
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:02 am

There were a couple of things that needed fettling with Nick's Plus 2 S130 dash:

• Pull & turn light switch didn't fit in the recess. Solution was to drill the recess out to widen it.
  • Choke cable spiked washer didn't fit either. This prevents the housing from turning when locking the choke in the "out" position. As I'd already fitted the dash at that point, all I could do was torque the retaining collar up nice and tight.
  • Glovebox fit wasn't great. On mine, it catches and I need to whack it to open the cover (I have a "tutch latch" fitted). That's after some fettling with a file; I may be able to improve it with more filing.
  • Quality of the lettering is a bit variable, but as they are stick on labels they are easy to replace.

All that said, I was very impressed with the quality of the dash, and Nick's after sales service. I guess the moral is, check everything for fit before fitting the dash. In the case of my dash, apart from the glove box, it could easily be down to the variety of parts used by Lotus over the manufacturing period. For example, they seem to have filed the light switch down in order to get it to fit in the original dash's recess, so how a maker of a reproduction dash is supposed to know that is beyond me.

I'd definitely buy from Nick again.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sprintsoft » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:56 pm

Hi Leslie,

What model is your +2 dash, yes would be interested...
72 Sprint - 0363E
74 S130/5 - 1931L
sprintsoft
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:43 pm

Here are a few pictures of the +2 dash that I would sell. Make your own mind up as to what model car it is correct for. I bought it late last year from a guy that was selling, believe it or not, +2 parts. £295.
Attachments
P1010003(14).JPG and
P1010002(13).JPG and
P1010001(14).JPG and
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:33 am

I am collecting parts together with longer lead times for the restoration of my '71 Sprint. New dash is next on the list.

This thread is a year and a half old, and the pandemic has impacted a number of suppliers. Does anyone have an update on this thread regarding suppliers and lead times?

Any information would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Andy.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: NTG999 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:02 pm

I bought one from Sue Miller for my 71 Sprint late last year, she had it in stock. She does prefer collection of dashboards as they are a pain to post
NTG999
First Gear
First Gear

Next

Total Online: