+2 Roof.

PostPost by: HCA » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:43 am

DUKE wrote:Hi, Try contacting Boss Motors of Snetterton on 01953 887471.
I believe they have the moulds for the older cars.
Worth a ring.

Well DUKE - I might owe you one! 8)

Called Boss Motors just now, spoke with Chris who immediately said yes to supplying a roof panel, but a bonus is that replacing suroofs is their bread and butter! They have done so many now it is down to a fine art, and pretty well guarantees no visible out line afterwards!

So this would save a lot of faffing around for me trying to turn the car over and ensuring a good finish. I just need to get the car now!

Again, a big thanks!
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:52 am

That is good news. Sounds like an excellent plan and a way forward.
Did they give you any indication of price?

Alan
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:12 pm

alanr wrote:Humble apologies if my comment about not liking sunroofs offended anyone, just my line of thinking!
It wouldn't do if we all liked the same thing would it.
'Each to his own' as they say. :D

Alan.

No offence taken, Alan! :)

I just wish I had a sunroof on my Plus 2.. especially with those sweaty vinyl seats.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:04 pm

alanr wrote:That is good news. Sounds like an excellent plan and a way forward.
Did they give you any indication of price?

Alan

No, I thought about asking, but as I do not physically have the car, thought it might sound a bit timewasting at this stage...

JonB wrote:

I just wish I had a sunroof on my Plus 2.. especially with those sweaty vinyl seats.

If I do get the car and go ahead with the change, I can ask them to dismantle the roof carefully and it is yours..!
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:46 pm

It will be very interesting to see what price they do quote you for sorting the roof.
My top of the head guesstimate would be ?2500-3000, so if you do go down that route it would be interesting to see how it compares with my thoughts!

...and no, no, no, you can't give the sunroof to Jon. It must go in the bin! It would be sacrilege to spoil another +2 :wink:

Alan.
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:54 pm

yes you can! :lol:
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:22 pm

The only closed-in car I'm happy to travel in from now on is a hearse!
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:50 pm

Quart Meg Miles wrote:The only closed-in car I'm happy to travel in from now on is a hearse!

Each to their own.... that's the last vehicle I'd travel in...

John ;-)
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AdrianSi » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:12 pm

HCA wrote:
DUKE wrote:Hi, Try contacting Boss Motors of Snetterton on 01953 887471.
I believe they have the moulds for the older cars.
Worth a ring.

Well DUKE - I might owe you one! 8)

Called Boss Motors just now, spoke with Chris who immediately said yes to supplying a roof panel, but a bonus is that replacing suroofs is their bread and butter! They have done so many now it is down to a fine art, and pretty well guarantees no visible out line afterwards!

So this would save a lot of faffing around for me trying to turn the car over and ensuring a good finish. I just need to get the car now!

Again, a big thanks!

Do update the thread when you've had it done. I've got a +2 that has had the webasto removed at some point, however the fill in panel has dipped slightly on one side and there is a slight imperfection where the cut out was. I'd just be interested in the panel rather than full fitment.

Do you know if they are quoting to remove the entire roof panel or blend a panel into the old hole.
1970 Elan +2
Factory Federal RHD
B42 Midnight Blue (Esprit S4)
AdrianSi
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:49 pm

I will indeed!

I am in the process of acquiring the car. As soon as I get it it, the first stop will be straight to the body shop!

Boss Motors will supply you a roof panel that you can cut to size and glass in yourself. The estimate to supply and fit a panel to size for my car is ?550 after removal of the Webasto excluding paint work, so supply only of a panel should be less than this.

The car I am after has the Gold Leaf colours with the roof section finished in gold metal flake. Apparently the original gold flake was in the gelcoat, so it will now have to be recreated using base and clear paint. My concern is the situation you are in - that the outline of the repair might show in one form or other. I am told this will not happen providing the roof fill panel is a good fit and glassed in from the inside with minimal filler used for the finish. I believe this is done by positioning the panel with fishplates standing up and then the car turned over.

Give them a call - maybe if he makes two panels it will be cheaper for both of us..!
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:56 am

HCA,
To do a proper job the joint needs to be scarfed in on both sides of the panel. If you choose to only work on the inside of the car the joint will show through in time. It may take six months or sixteen years to show, but it WILL show in the end. I've got the T shirt.
Cheers
John.
elanman999
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:59 am

Sounds promising...
Don't know if you have thought of this but you will also need a replacement headling which will also mean both front/rear screen removal. If an early car then not a big issue at all, screens are on rubber, but the later cars have a bonded front screen which is not an easy job in itself to remove /replace due to chrome trim issues.You might want to do a search on the forum for others who have done a bonded front screen refit.

Alan.
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:28 am

Dear HCA, I must have missed your name somewhere. I do not follow your reasoning at all. You would like to buy a +2 in a certain colour, lagoon blue, with an oatmeal interior. You do not like sunroofs. Yet here you are contemplating / buying a +2 with a sunroof, with a view to removing it and patching the hole.

My friend, in my opinion, you are making the wrong decision. As has already been pointed out, to carry out such a repair invisibly, is virtually impossible. The advice you have been given, that you only glass on one side and skim filler on the top side is completey wrong. There would be very little strength in that repair, and after a while, maybe a few years, the patch will almost always show, no matter what method is used. And when it does, your car is virtually unsaleable.

Have a little, maybe a lot of patience, wait for the right car to turn up.

Best,

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:46 am

Wise words Leslie. I completely agree with you! :D

Alan.
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:27 pm

It's entirely possible, I had mine replaced with the kind donation of a second hand +2 roof by Mr Kempson of this manor and 15k hard driven miles and 10 years later absolutely no signs of cracking whatsoever.

For what it's worth I think a Webasto spoils the lines of a +2
Attachments
P1040512 - Copy.JPG and
Webasto hole.JPG and
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: