Fitting Sprint door lock mechanism

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:14 am

bloodknock wrote:I know im being pedantic, but i want to be sure:

20200103_124351.jpg

Are we agreed that this assembly sequence is correct?
Regards
Bob

Spot on 100% Bob and i can see you're making good use of your coloured Crayons you had for Christmas :wink: :wink:
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bloodknock » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:05 pm

Some struggle!, but ive managed to fit the lock and mechanism on the passenger side, it still requires work as its quite stiff. Ive a feeling that ive fitted the external lock on the wrong door, if thats possible. It seems to me that the wire between the lock body and the external key lock is operating at an awkward angle. Can anyone tell me if these keylocks are handed in application?

Incidentally, as I was evaluating the wire linkage clips, I found that two of the clips were different to the others
having large diameter plastic components with corresponding larger holes in the clip itself. These clips fitted perfectly into the elongated actuation lever of the lock and resulted in a nice smooth positive action. As Ive said, work on this car has been going on sparodically for decades and I dont remember if I bought more clips during the time or if theyre original, but the two larger diameter ones look newer than the others.
You must think that I had a nice colouring in set for Christmas?! But I find it easier to identify and orient components when ive colour coded the fittings.
The red lever is the one with the larger orifice in which the larger clip gave a more satisfactory functionality. The green (Inner door latch) lever has the smaller diameter holes.

Wire linkage clips.jpg and

20200104_175524.jpg and

Door lock latch mechanism.jpg and
Attachments
Door Lock latch mechanism showing internal opening lever .jpg and
Last edited by bloodknock on Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've got a deadline, at 73, I want to finish it before I die!
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:43 am

bloodknock wrote:Some struggle!, but ive managed to fit the lock and mechanism on the passenger side, it still requires work as it quite stiff. ive a feeling that ive fitted the external lock on the wrong door, if thats possible. It seems to me that the wire between the lock body and the external key lock is operating at an awkward angle. Can anyone tell me if these keylocks are handed in application ?

The key locks are a pair but I think they can be fitted on either side of the car, the only difference it will make is which way up the key hole is .. on my S4 the flat edge of the key is uppermost on both doors.
If the lock rod angle looks wrong you may have it the wrong way round or on the wrong side of the car ... the rods are handed.
Don't forget to fit the friction washer on the lock barrel.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bloodknock » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:25 pm

OK im going to bite the bullet and check the linkages even if I have to dismantle.
By the way, my door external locks are keyed so that to remove the key it has to be vertical, my keys dont have a flat side. I realised that there should be a friction washer on the locks but couldnt find them, hence the weapons grade antivibration washer!.
ihave sketched the nearside wire linkage shape and orientation from the parts manual diagram and will use it to check my installation.
Door external lock 2.JPG and
Door external lock.JPG and
door key lock function.JPG
door key lock function.JPG (31.16 KiB) Viewed 886 times
door lock wire links (near side).JPG and

Regards
Bob
I've got a deadline, at 73, I want to finish it before I die!
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:56 pm

Not just crayons for Xmas, Felt tips as well - You must have been really good last year :D
The super size clip sounds to be just the job. Mine date from before 1982 and were all small. The car had been repeated when I got it so the locks may have been out before.
Does anyone know if the larger size were a standard fitment?
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jkatthehelm » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:52 pm

Great thread and illustrations! Anyone know where the bushes could be sourced - oversized or std?
Cheers
James
66 Elan fhc, 72 Elan Plus 2S 130/5, 98 Elise 2.0l Duratec
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: