S4 Screen Frame

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:37 pm

Hi All

Has anyone any experience of fitting a drophead screen frame to a fixed head shell?

My "project" should be DHC but someone has fitted a roof :( I intend to convert it back. I have noticed that frames are available.

I wonder what the pitfalls might be? Obviously the frame has to be strongly bonded to work well. Does the steel frame run all the way up the side rails?

Any thoughts folks

Thanks
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Rob_LaMoreaux » Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:47 pm

What series? The early cars had a different mold for a DHC and a FHC, but the later Type 45 (DHC) and Type 36 (FHC) were from the same mold. The top frames were different for the early and later cars. What is the type number of the car?

The later series 3 and 4 (Type 45 for DHC) had the top frame screwed to a fiberglass tray that was bolted to the body by the tenex fasteners of the top. The windshield frame had a flat plate riveted to the top of the windshield surround that left a gap for the leading edge of the top to be inserted. If you do not have a parts manual get one since it shows all of these parts.

The early cars had fiberglass window frames that were attached to the car, then bows were placed transvere between them to form the top structure.

> Does the steel frame run all the way up the side rails?

What steel frame? The only steel from on the body is the re-inforcing rod around the doors, but that has nothing to do with the top.

If this is a type 45 with a top bonded on than it is fairly easy to convert to a DHC assuming you can get the parts (top frame, top tray, and windshield header), as some people on the yahoo email list have converted a type 36 to a DHC, but if this is anything else it could be a real challenge
Rob_LaMoreaux
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: steve » Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:08 pm

if its of any use to you i have a new screen frame ( fiberglass) ?10
i bought it for a conversion last year ,but it didn't happen :blink: <_<
"everyone wants a piece of me and it hurts "<br>when my right leg starts shaking thats when i know i am having fun !
steve
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:53 pm

Thanks for the replies

Sorry I didn't explain myself very well, the car is S4

I thought I remember steel reinforcement running up inside the screen frame uprights to strengthen the structure?

It's quite a while since I last worked on an Elan so it may just be my vague memory failing me.

Obviously the frame has to be strong when the hood is pulling on it.
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: riverkeeper » Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:29 am

There was no steel bar running up the sides of the windscreen frame originally but I've done this on a re-build extending up the existing steel work by welding in a 8mm dia steel concrete re-enforcing rod which I then glassed over. It is an improvement and stiffens up the sides of the frame.

The FHC to DHC conversion is fairly straightforward if you've got an old screen and an assistant !. It's easier to see it done but basically the way I've done it is to hold the whole thing in situ by PK'ing on two aluminium straps to secure the frame to the body and with the aid of penny washers acting like the rubber screen seal, effectively sandwiching the screen and frame between between them( you'll need about twenty or so !). Then when it all looked about right I secured it with a few strips of matting to hold/ lock it in place. You'll probably need to do a few tweaks and a little fettling of fibre glass but you'll be most of the way there. Glass it up properly once your happy with the fit. Also helps to take a few measurements from a DHC to make sure your in the right ball park but they all have a fair tolerance in dimensions !

Wayne.
riverkeeper
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:58 pm

If there is no steel reinforcement then I assume it is just a case of getting the frame in the correct position and then making a good job of laminating it back together

Thanks for the input Wayne, the reinforcing rod trick is a good idea.

Did you get my mail Steve?

John
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: