Steering column bracket thread

PostPost by: MarkDa » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:48 pm

First thoughts- If you are going to have the car raised then it'll be easy enough to get at the diff end so you should be able to either have the shaft in the tunnel or feed on from rear.

After research - Yes

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=37586&start=
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:02 pm

Jon,

Whilst I know your car is a plus two and mine is an S4, I also thought that the engine might go in from underneath. However I tried, I could not get the cylinder head pass through the chassis, the block will, but I could not fit the complete engine.

My understanding is that the Elan and Elan plus two chassis are the same in the area around the engine.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:32 pm

Go for the poly bushes, unless you've cured all oil leaks these will last longer!

As for the propshaft, what I found easy was to lay the back end up over the diff. This gives room for the engine and gearbox to get into place without interference. Once they are bolted up, it is easy to bring the propshaft forward and to slide it into place. I did it alone through the hole in the side of the center hump - with a partner guiding from the rear should be a cinch. Once in all the way, just pull back to the diff flange and secure.
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:01 pm

I have a Spyder chassis. More access, especially with the roll bar and strengthened bar removed. Might that make the difference? Actually, probably not. The cars not high enough... hmm, must take some measurements..
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:16 pm

As you seem to distain the KISS priciple .

What about making a jig to support the engine and box in its finished position.
Source / attach a good gantry to the garage roof.

Then you could lift the body onto the engine - simple.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:40 pm

Actually for those with a 2 post lift this might be a much better solution than dangling an engine over the nose cone.
I have what I thought was a decent crane when I bought it but I had to drill an extra hole to get the reach for my sprint so it wouldn't do +2.
Added to which one needs to create a platform to sit the car on so the crane legs can go underneath.
Unfortunately my garage has a trussed roof so a lift won't work - I have a pit but it's not the same.

Mind you all this pre-supposed a Spyder chassis and whether the head will go through the chassis - does it?
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:48 pm

vincereynard wrote:As you seem to distain the KISS priciple .

Nope, absolutely not. I will try to fit it over the nose as one unit. Surely the easiest way, if it can be made to fit.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:12 pm

Mine did and, as they are very close no.s, there's no reason why PP should be any different.

I did buy a longer (60mm X 60 mm?) length of square tube for the crane. And had the back higher.

Slipped in no problem.

Make sure you have the mounts the right way round, that caused confusion. You can have them already fitted to the lump with the rubber mounts loosely fitted to the chassis as the engine mounted bits go in front.

s1220001.jpg and
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:37 pm

Your cylinder head is painted? Non standard...!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: