Elan windshield (windscreen) group buy?

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:13 pm

I want to replace the original windshield on my 69 Elan S4 as it is not as clear as I would like anymore.

Several months back I shopped for this (previous post) and found a couple of suppliers in the US. I decided to wait on a purchase until I was closer to installing it. However, now I have found that the windshields are no longer in stock at any of the suppliers I have contacted. Pilkington says 5 months out, minimum. Plus, I want clear and Pilkington supplies tinted.

UK suppliers have the Elan windscreens but of course shipping is a big issue. Turns out that the shipping will be the same for one windshield or several. So, my question is whether anyone is interested in a group buy. The particular supplier, Ricky Evans Motorsport, also do a heated windscreen if that is of interest. Their website: https://www.heatedwindscreen.com . The basic windscreen cost is less than half of that in the States (if the US suppliers had them) so if the shipping from the UK could be shared a bit - the unit will be less expensive overall. Shipping within the States is also not cheap.

I am in Northern California. If you are in the market for a new windshield or want to upgrade to a heated one, let me know and perhaps we can make a group buy and divide the shipping costs. Even just two makes economic sense.

Also, if anyone has a Ricky Evans Motorsport windscreen on their Elan I would be interested in your assessment of its quality and fit.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:04 pm

About 10 years ago a group of us (about 10 of us all over N A) ordered a batch of about 10 to 12 clear windshields direct from Pilkington Classic Glass for our type 26's. They shipped to each individual and the price was fair. We had to do a minimum quantity order. I had mine shipped to a pal in Seattle and hopped the border to get it - that saved shipping problems to CANADER (eh!).

Someone has to organize it, pole the members, organize with PCG but I understand that they were more than cooperative at the time.

Mine is still on the shelf but I will install it this winter.

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:19 pm

Regarding the group order from Pilkington, did you work with the UK or the US operation?

I have reached out to the UK but no response yet. US office, not that helpful. Maybe if buying 10 or so they might be more inclined to help.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: snowyelan » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:50 am

I bought a clear one around 2010 thru a group buy. Keith (saildrive2001) organized it. Link below may have some useful info. I think they were thru a US supplier.

lotus-chassis-f36/clear-windshields-t20089.html
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:26 am

I bought a new screen for my Super Safety, probably in 2010. I actually purchased from a company in Massachussetts, but convinced them I should pick it up, thinking their "mid-west warehouse was probably in Chicago or Indy. Turned out that it was Pilkington and they were right here, a suburb of Columbus.

I talked w/ the Pilkington people and they seemed very anxio us to help. This is a half-hour drive from my home. If I can help expedite a purchase I will.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:58 am

I bought a windscreen about 4 years ago and installed it with a new gasket in my car based on a recommendation here. It's actually a bit small and the glass is thinner than original. It was fairly difficult to install and get centered in the frame and gasket.

I would be interested in an original clear replacement windscreen, particularly if it is stampled with the BS (British Standard) logo on the center top.

Regards,
Dan Wise
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:36 am

I was the one who organized the group purchase & I did indeed place the order through the US office of Pilkington. They allowed each individual to pay them directly & have the unit shipped to their place of choice, provided it had a means of unloading the shipment. I found them more than helpful but that was a few years ago so who knows if the same people are around. I also wanted a clear screen as that is what the original was & the group purchase was the only practical way of doing it then.
Good luck with the purchase.
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:38 pm

No joy yet on finding a US windscreen.

For the record, I would like to know from Dan (StressCraxx) where your windshield came from, perhaps to avoid it since you said it didn't fit all that well. Let me know by PM if you don't want to publish it.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:12 am

I am interested in a new windshield for my S2. I initial foray with the car 12 years ago included a sand storm in the high desert above Los Angeles. Not too badly pitted, but a replacement is in order. Willing to take either tinted or clear.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:25 am

saildrive2001 wrote:I was the one who organized the group purchase & I did indeed place the order through the US office of Pilkington. They allowed each individual to pay them directly & have the unit shipped to their place of choice, provided it had a means of unloading the shipment. I found them more than helpful but that was a few years ago so who knows if the same people are around. I also wanted a clear screen as that is what the original was & the group purchase was the only practical way of doing it then.
Good luck with the purchase.

Hello Keith,
I found them really helpful too, they shipped the windshield to a shop east of Sacramento and I was able to pick it up easily. The end result was just OK.

Regards,
Dan
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 7skypilot » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:04 pm

I had a new (unheated) windscreen (S4) supplied by Ricky Evans Motorsport (https://www.heatedwindscreen.com/) in December 2016.

I noticed yesterday that it has failed and opaque 'fingers' are creeping across the windscreen from the RH lower side. The windscreen was fitted by an outstanding local glassworks who are experienced in fitting to classic cars.

I'm currently in discussion with Ricky Evans Motorsport but Rick has denied that he has any control over the use of the windscreen and offers no warranty (except on heated screens when the element has a year's warranty). I'll update in a week or so when I see if a replacement is a possibility.

I'm in the UK, so if you're considering a group buy in the USA perhaps you should also factor in the possible cost of replacing faulty goods.
7skypilot
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:32 pm

To follow up on this topic. I have now placed an order for a clear windshield for my S4 with the US office of Pilkington. Cost is $325 plus $150 shipping to a commercial address. Delivery is 4-6 months out. I didn't have to advance any funds.

This price, including delivery, seems the best I could sort out for the US. The supplier, Pilkington, being the original Triplex brand owner and well known entity should provide a quality unit. I was put off by the possible problems from other suppliers, as noted.

For those that contacted me about the group buy, I suggest you contact Pilkington (US) directly. Curt has been apprised that there are others that are interested:

Curt McCool
Pilkington Classics

[email protected]

1-800-848-1351

It may be that if enough orders are received, they will bump up the priority for earlier delivery.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:36 am

So couple things, I need one for my S3 drophead coupe but I understand the match is to S2 series cars rather than moving ahead to the S4??so that?s one question and then maybe a way to do a group kind of thing would be to get pinkington or somebody? to deliver them to the lotus log in Stabridge,Massachusetts next year and save us all 150 apiece shipping because I believe they are like right next-door? Gordon Sauer
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:49 pm

Based upon this thread and the PM's that I received there are at least 5 of us in North America, so far, that are interested in a new Elan windshield.

I would encourage everyone to contact Pilkington directly at the email/number that I posted. The more demand, the sooner they might fulfill the order, I would think. For those co-located, it would make sense that you could split the delivery cost.

Based upon the previous thread on the group windshield buy back in 2010, the negotiated cost then was $315. The cost now is $325, so not much difference. That is a standard price, not a group discount. Shipping was $100 then, $150 now. But, if you can share shipping, probably less.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:41 pm

Caution Gents

When a group of us ordered replacements for our series 1/2 cars years back from Pilkington Classic we found then very acomodating - it was a group purchase but they shipped to each of us individually in care of the nearest Pilkington regional warehouse in the states (not shipped out of country). I drove down from my tite little island (Lotus Land) to pick mine up in the Seatle area.

CAUTION; at the time there was some confusion, as I recall, in that they called the windshield for the type 26 (Elan S1-S2) as a S1 replacement and the windshield for the S3-S4 a S2 replacement.

Therefore - a S1 Pilkington cataloged windshield glass is for an Elan 1600, Series 1 and Series 2
- a S2 Pilkington ---------------------------------- is for an Elan Series 3 and Series 4

The difference between them is the bottom corners - Someone should confirm that as I recall that to be the case at the time.

I still haven't replaced mine - I bought it for just in case - however after 55 years the haze has finally built up and I got big stone chip this summer - the time is here, another winter job.

Good luck with it guys and keep your sticks on the ice!!

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: