Black finish on +2 130S inner doors.

PostPost by: M.J.S » Fri May 25, 2018 5:51 pm

Hello gents. I have a query regarding the finish to the inside of the doors on a +2 130S.

Was the original finish a matt black or a satin black? It's difficult to tell when Googling photos.

Many thanks.
ZARDE the 130/5.
M.J.S
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri May 25, 2018 6:24 pm

It's a satin black, the same as the engine bay.
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Fri May 25, 2018 6:29 pm

That's odd, mine are sort of maroon coloured. I think it's the resin... the flanges that close on the door seals are satin black, but I wouldn't trust my car as a guide, it's been painted at least twice.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Sat May 26, 2018 10:25 pm

Same color as the engine bay for any satin black areas of the car is certainly right on but this brings up the question of how it's supposed to be, so for example the inside of the trunk lid is supposed to be body color and I believe all of the paint that you can see on the doors when they are open would be body color also and then of course you have the door card that covers everything else. Gordon Sauer
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sun May 27, 2018 5:23 pm

This shows the masking around the door edges on a car that hadn't been re-painted. It was a yellow 130S, with black interior (which I believe all or most yellow cars had). I think that all the cars had the masking irrespective of the colour of the interior, although my JPS (with oatmeal interior) didn't have the masking and that was also in original paint. But of course it was black already, and I'm sure that Lotus wouldn't have bothered to add a bit more satin!
Attachments
081205-002small.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Mon May 28, 2018 7:19 am

Interesting, so how does it transition to body color, that is, it appears the face alone which seals is the satin black but also that fiberglass there is about an eighth of an inch thick so is that edge of the fiberglass black or is that body color and then I'm presuming the back of those flanges that are actually facing out are not painted satin black. Gordon Sauer
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Wed May 30, 2018 12:50 pm

My car was originally maroon and the insides of the doors were maroon overspray, not deliberately painted, as is the interior generally. I cannot believe Lotus wasted money painting the insides of the doors satin black.
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:12 pm

Hi Everyone

A couple of pics showing the body colour / satin black transition

Regards
Andy
Attachments
img_6552.jpg and