Have I got the correct heater box for my S3?

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:10 pm

Hi Ivan,
You are correct. The heater is supported at the dash end by the bracket. The other end sits on the ledge moulded into the transmission tunnel. There is a gasket/seal between the heater and the plenum, and to stop it from rattling/ moving, it sits on some sort of soft packing between the transmission tunnel and heater.
If I recall, when I pulled mine apart, it was sitting on some felt insulation. Some sort of hard foam packing, as you show, would also suffice.
Cheers,
Colin.

quote="ivan.wood"]I realise this post is a little dated but is the closest to the problem I am having refitting my heater core. My 65 S2 does not appear to have any solid mounting brackets or screws for the heater box. I rebuilt the heater box last winter and am sure I fitted everything back as it was but when I came to mounting it in the car I had 2 dense foam blocks, that I believe the bottom edge of the matrix sat on and a T shaped bracket, that also mounts the bottom of the dash, holding the front up so it makes a tight seal to the air intake box. Am I missing something or does it just sit there with the front resting on the bracket.

Thanks[/quote]
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jentwistle3 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:29 pm

FWIW 1.5 years later my S2 is the same.
Jentwistle3
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ivan.wood » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:00 pm

I finally had to make changes to it as it was not sealing very well at the air intake. Had to double the gasket thickness. A subsequent problem is that the top edge of the heater box is pushing on the heater and choke cable tubes but there does not seem to be any option to change it. I see on later models the mounting holes in the dash are slightly higher.

Thanks

Ivan
ivan.wood
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: