Bib Spoiler

PostPost by: gav » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:04 pm

I took earlier advice and made a bib to hold the nose down at higher speeds.
It is still in testing mode so not finished yet but I am astonished at the result - the nose feels really planted.
img_5680.jpg and

I was worried about hitting the air dam on speed bumps so had a mould taken but this may be overkill because I didn't have any problems over the many speed humps we have in our area.
My biggest difficulty at the moment is working out what speed I am driving at - the speedo seems to massively under read and the GPS speedo decided to have a moment today so all a bit tricky.
The damper settings are just right for my driving and I'm really happy with the suspension set up so more miles this year - thats the plan.....
Gavin
Attachments
img_5682.jpg and
One day I'll actually finish - completely - one day....
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:33 pm

nice job Gav
Is it a modified Europa one?
Cheers
Dave
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
Shapecraft Honda powered S1(in progress)
Turbocharged 26R clone (also in progress)
Evora 400 development car ex Lotus Factory
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gav » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:41 pm

Hi Dave
Yes its a modified Europa one - not a perfect fit and needing a little more fettling yet but a good start
Cheers
Gavin
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanman68 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:53 pm

Are those Elise seats you've fitted? If so I'd be interested in how they're mounted.
Elanman68
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: USA64 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:17 pm

I haven't driven mine in 30 years and it will be at least one more before it's ready, so just curious at what speed you start losing the front?
We are supposed to be having fun, are we not?
USA64
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gav » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:38 am

Hi Elanman

They are Elise seats and they are really comfortable.
I made up a new sub frame to match the seat and bolted it to a pair of runners which is welded to a bar just as the original and clamped the front in place as standard.

The only real adjustment is three clicks on the seat runners or changing position at the bar end so it isnt very flexible as a solution but better than nothing.

At the back of the runners, I made a spreader plate in the floor and bolted the runner through it. I am over 6' and it fits like a glove. The problem is that with my height, when I compete my crash helmet can be a little higher than the top of the cage. One scrutineer half heartedly suggested that I remove the seat and then suggested that for competition I remove the seat squab but this would permanently damage the seat. If I did more events, I'd ditch the runners completely and then I think it would be fine.

Hi USA64

When I run in sprints, there is one circuit where I can really get my foot down and which has two long straights. I found that between 80 and 90 mph the front started to get a little light. I didn't have a chance to go faster because by that stage I needed to start braking so I don't know if it is something I can drive through or whether it gets worse (I suspect the latter). I think I need more power so that I can reach those speeds quicker and that I something I am currently working on.

Clearly those speeds on UK roads would be reckless so I am planning to rebook that event this year. If all goes well should be able to advise later in the year (!)

Cheers
Gavin
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:51 am

My Elan is stable up to around its maximum speed of 125 mph / 200 km/h at 8000 rpm which I get to down the main straight at the Phillip Island circuit. The car runs a little lower than standard at around 110 mm at the front which may help the high speed stability but the body is standard S4 as no body mods allowed in my production sports car class.

All this assumes no big cross wind which you can sometimes get coming off the ocean at the end of the straight which is more exposed just before the 100m braking point which sometimes makes it interesting as you brake for the 150 km/h right hander :shock:

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:24 am

Rohan

If you drive on the roads around my way, the speed humps are so extreme that the nose needs to be high and I suspect this may be causing half of the problems

Cheers
Gavin
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanman68 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:04 pm

Thanks Gavin, I have a pair of Elise seats in the garage and had wondered about fitting them. Thanks for confirming the art of the possible.
Elanman68
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:13 pm

Well done, mine is very planted at silly speeds on a track or unrestricted road.

c0b31e15-86e6-40ce-9cd6-6c78651708ad.jpeg and

Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:58 pm

Lotus Europa spoiler on my Plus 2S :)
Attachments
dsci0004.jpg and
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:41 pm

I have just collected one, I somewhat like the looks.
Are there more comments about these spoilers please. My S4 does seem to lift, with a GPS speedo about 80mph but its a bit tough to tell exactly. Lowered about 1.5 or TTR fast road height so better than before.
From the photos on the net, many racers have this. So I suspect it works, before I go to the trouble. Was hoping for some experience please.

Cheers
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: