Chrome re-plating in the UK

PostPost by: JonB » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:03 am

Hi

While I fret about the as yet unplanned trip to Peterborough, I'm looking into rechroming the bumpers (front and back), because the front is starting to rust and both are going dull and brass-like. Anyway.. I called one service and was told the rear would cost around ?380 and the front ?300.

This seems pretty shocking to me. Are there any other options? I read some threads from a while back that talked about prices but as we know times change and they are out of date.

So I am looking for recommendations and costs - anyone replaced / rechromed a bumper lately, and if so how much was it and who did it? What was the quality like?

Cheers
JonB
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JohnP » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:29 am

JohnP
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jono » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:35 am

I'm guessing that was Derby Plating?

Yes, expensive but absolutely worth it - the quality of their work is simply stunning and all my chrome is still as good as whe I picked it up 7 years ago.

..quality is remembered long after the price has been forgotten.
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:01 pm

Hampshire Electroplating came in with a reasonable price (still expensive in absolute terms), but they do plate properly with copper, then nickel, then chrome to finish. I think I'll be visiting them soon as they are along the coast from me (in Southampton).

I had a chat with Sue about replacements but the fronts are unobtanium and the rears can be got but are very costly (typically around ?350+VAT). Makes me wonder what my spare front bumper is worth...
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:10 pm

The front bumpers aren't worth much as they are just Anglia.

Rear bumpers have become very expensive of late as they are bespoke (well, a Riley Elf cut and shut).

Derby do a heavy copper plate on all their work - my rear bumper came back more than twice the weight and three times original thickness. It's essential to do a decent job - it acts as a filler before nickel then chrome and there is much linishing to do before the chrome finish which is the easy and quick bit.
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:39 pm

And yet, no one sells replacement fronts (that I know of).

[edit]
http://www.newpartsonline.co.uk/index.p ... _id=764646}
and
https://groupharrington.com/product/for ... e-bumpers/

..although still over ?325, and may be lower quality or thinner than original.
[/edit]

I do understand the need for the copper / nickel / chrome layering, especially after seeing that restoration programme take a bumper to a chrome plater in Birmingham. I wonder how much Derby charged you? PM me if you're shy ;)
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:46 pm

I'm not sure the Harrington (rear) bumpers ever took off, unless they've eventually managed to productionise them?

Anglia bumpers show up on Ebay from time to time - better to buy one and get it re chromed, probably cheaper too

My rear was around ?360 seven years ago but i've never regretted it.

I had the front one done at a cheapo place near Blidworth on the basis that it was not rare and I could afford to take a risk. It was around ?150 but nowhere near the standard of Derby Plating and they tried to bump the quoted price when it was ready.

It's the only part that wasn't done at Derby and it tells. Every other bit of chrome on the car inclyding Mazac lights and door frames were done at Derby and thye still look as good as the day they were done.

Buy cheap buy twice (that's two adages in one post!)

I have a fibreglass rear +2 bumper if you fancy a real bodge!
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bloodknock » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:09 pm

Hi
I recently sent an Elan Ash tray to be replated. The salesman promised:
"We can Electronically Strip, mirror polish (minor dents/imperfections are removed at this stage) and quad plate with 4 layers of plating to achieve maximum rust protection and a deep chrome finish (Copper Plate, Acid Copper Plate, Nickel Plate and Chrome Plate)
The part for ?48 + P&P ?9.95 via fed-ex tracked next day delivery"
I was looking for perfection for my rebuild. The finish on the part is atrocious, no mark removal or mirror polishing. A very poor finish. I couldnt be bothered to take em to task on it.
The company I used was Chromefix in Birmingham.
You need to be very careful in your selection of a source, I have used other sources who gave a good service and quality. I will look up my records for this company if youre interested.
Regards
BOb
I've got a deadline, at 73, I want to finish it before I die!
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:36 pm

Hi Jon

I'd concur with Jono re Derby Plating, they're the only people I'd trust with anything especially something like the Plus 2 rear bumper. As far as price goes, they do a proper job and charge an appropriate price. Restoring classic cars properly isn't a cheap hobby.

Regards
Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:51 pm

Don't consider R&S Electroplating Ltd a.k.a. Homeofchrome , Failsworth , Manchester
Took my good rear bumper in to be re-plated , came out about 1lb lighter and floppy , they had burnished the lip out and ruined it...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:37 am

Harrington came back with a price of ?325 for the front bumper including shipping.

Are they any good, though?

Tut, tut John, should've read the address. "FAILS"worth...
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tonyr27 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:48 am

A friend is currently having his doors chromed at ACF Howell n Walsall who have been recommended by a few classic owners. They were on a TV programme recently in which Drew the salvage guy was dabbling at restoring a Plus 2.

TonyR
1966 S3 FHC Medici Blue
tonyr27
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bloodknock » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:27 pm

Thats it. AFC Howell were the ones I used for chrome on my Frogeye. They did a magnificent job. Should have used them for my sprintash tray.
Bob
I've got a deadline, at 73, I want to finish it before I die!
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:44 pm

Maybe others could post their experience but I heard Derby Plating charge around ?500 per side for door frames.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:07 am

Why not London and Brighton plating in Shoreham?
I've used them for nickel plating
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: