Early Plus 2 Seat Runners

PostPost by: Iyarno » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:22 pm

I've tried searching, and although there's lots of close matches, nothing has quite given me the answer I'm looking for.

I'm looking to clean up and grease the seat runners (68 Elan +2) and wondered if they could be taken apart easily. There's a couple of small nobly bits at either end of the runners which (sensibly) prevent the pieces from sliding out completely. Is there a way to overcome these nobly bits and fully disassemble the unit without damage?

This piece is questions is number 5 on this diagram -
https://www.rdent.com/manuals/plus2/body/bm.htm

- Ian
Iyarno
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:36 pm

Ian,
It's been a while, but I completely dismantled mine. From what I remember, I had to force them apart slightly one end, but not to the extent of damaging them. There are a couple of rollers in there in each runner, but all pretty straight forward.
Can't remember any particular tips though, sorry :?

Kev
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: innesw » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:38 am

Keep us updated on your progress Ian, my seat runners are totally useless, took me a lot of time to try and get the seat in a good position, and definitely not something you could adjust "on the fly" if say a much taller person was going to drive (i.e my Dad)..

Innes
Innes
1965 Elan S2 (26/4681)
1973 Elan+2S 130/5 JPS
innesw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:30 pm

Same here, spent time cleaning and lubricating with silicon stay but that hasn't lasted. So need to redo and interested how you get on.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:56 pm

I have detoxed two (2) sets. The ones from my Sabra GT and the Plus2. Both were gummed up with old grease, carpet fuzz and other crud. Used several cans of brake clean and a stainless wire brush with good results on each set. Detached the spring so I could slide the latching side back and forth freely. Lubed with white grease. One thing I found was, the runners need enough clearance from the carpet to operate freely. Originally, the Sabra had strips of 3/8" plywood that went between the bottom of the runner and the carpet. New plywood, a bit thicker as the new carpet is thicker than the original, and the seat and runner now clear the carpet enough to allow it to slide with ease. On the Plus2, I use a coupe of thick washers between the runner and the carpet and slightly longer screws. It also now slides with ease. Also, a bit of tweaking of the latching handle to bend it upwards a bit helped it clear the carpet.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Iyarno » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:45 pm

Progress. A sunny Sunday afternoon, a couple of blocks of wood, a hammer and some light tapping, increasing to medium hitting did the job.

They?ve come apart just fine and the little rollers are in surprisingly good condition. The nobley bits preventing them from sliding out have gently buckled to allow them slide all the way, but the damage is minimal and when refitted, can easily be tapped back again.

I?ve now stripped the base of the runners which had the most rust. I?ll be using hammerite on them (except for the inside). The main unit has no rust at all, so it?s a light wirewool to clean up and some black spray (less gunky) to freshen it up. I?m not attempting to remove the springs as they work and seem to have been crimped into place. Removing these would mean finding a new way of holding them back in place.

When the paint is dry I?ll be greasing and checking the sliding action and reinstalling. I?ll update again shortly...
Attachments
578735b6-3fd8-446a-b180-a995f667e052.jpeg and
Seat runners apart
Iyarno
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: