Dashboards

PostPost by: NYK » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:33 pm

Has anyone bought a dash from classical-dash.co.uk, if not any other recommendations?
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:25 pm

Several threads available about this firm
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:34 pm

Use City Polishers Nick Martin
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Philip+2 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:05 am

I used :-
http://www.pkveneering.co.uk/about-us.html
in Crewe. They did a fantastic job, not too expensive and reasonable timescales.
Philip+2
New-tral

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:29 am

I spent a year waiting for Classic-dash to complete my order..... i wouldn't recommend them just due to bad business, i couldn't comment on the dash it's self as it never arrived.

The place we use at work is (Ged) GDK Veneering in Crewe, i don't know if they make new dash boards but i've seen a few +2 dashes done there (don't know if they where owned by people on here??)

https://www.facebook.com/WoodtrimRestoration/
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:45 am

I don't know what type of +2 Dash your looking for but i just noticed this on Ebay that may interest you if you have a +2s https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Elan-S ... 1438.l2649

BTW, i have no affiliation to the sale or seller.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:23 am

GDK are on salvage hunters tonight doing Jag mk2 woodwork for Mr PrAtchard
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:37 am

Thanks for the various leads which I have followed up but in some cases still awaiting replies from the people, I think you can guess who! The eBay one unfortunately is not the same as mine.
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Europatc » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:36 pm

Chris Foulds is fitting mine as we speak but he was waiting several months for it and I had no joy contacting them.
ImageImage
Europatc
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:36 pm

There are some interesting restoration firms mentioned here (and I have looked at previous leads).

I'm looking for a new LHD S2 dash (my car is a wreck without a dash!)...and I do not have a template.

Any bright ideas as to how I could do this does anyone have a template (NB the RHD is not the mirror image of the LHD I understand).

(I have considered a firm in New England, but having been recently stung by French customs for VAT, handling etc for Lotus parts from the states, this looks like an expensive past time)!
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:40 pm

The consensus from people I have spoken to seems to be that Classical Dash make a very nice product but have zero concept of customer service or if they do, they don?t give a damn. Paul Matty stores said they are promised a shipment in a few weeks time, although they say they also have massive problems getting information out of them. I?ll give it a few weeks to see whether they arrive, if not will use one of the restorers mentioned above.
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:24 pm

Frogelan wrote:There are some interesting restoration firms mentioned here (and I have looked at previous leads).

I'm looking for a new LHD S2 dash (my car is a wreck without a dash!)...and I do not have a template.

Any bright ideas as to how I could do this does anyone have a template (NB the RHD is not the mirror image of the LHD I understand).

(I have considered a firm in New England, but having been recently stung by French customs for VAT, handling etc for Lotus parts from the states, this looks like an expensive past time)!

If you do decide to reconsider a US supplier Randy Keller at Prestige Autowood is highly recommended. It is very likely he has an S2 LHD template. Not cheap though, and may have a bit of a lineup.

My Plus 2 dash is great. When I spoke with him regarding my Plus 2 dash he was very knowledgeable of all variants, and asked all the right questions to make sure I got exactly what I wanted. I am not sure of the S2 glove box details, but for the Plus 2 I had to send him my hinges and latch as they were hard to find new. He did an excellent job of grain matching and mounting the glove box door. I went with a radio cutout, but he will make them with grain matched blanking plate or radio delete. Maybe not an issue for the S2, but the Plus 2 dash was all properly lettered and finished, correct blocking for the switches, fully finished and sealed both sides. Believe he has a wide variety of veneers available.

http://www.prestigeautowood.com/dash_info.htm

I would think you are going to pay VAT no matter where you go?

HTH

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:39 pm

MarkDa wrote:GDK are on salvage hunters tonight doing Jag mk2 woodwork for Mr PrAtchard

Really? thats interesting i'll watch that.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:54 pm

Thanks Stu.

I think it may be a good idea: I was actually hit for quite a lot more than just the VAT !

These other guys were mentioned in other posts:

http://www.cgwoodcraft.com/vintage.html
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nwbaxter66 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:37 pm

I would give another call out for Randy Keller at Prestige. He is currently doing one for me and the experience has been first rate - if you decide to do a US supplier.
Great to have so many options.
N
Nick Baxter
1970 Plus 2S (Federal)
1969 Plus 2 (UK) - sold
nwbaxter66
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: